Sunday, November 13, 2011

Anime: Straw Hat Reunion Arc- Episode 519


Franky is a pretty good model. I am in full support of him getting onto the cover of “Mega Men Monthly”. See this (and more?) on OnePieceOfficial.com.

First Thoughts
Although not sure as to what I should suspect for this episode, the return of the familiar bickering between Zoro and Sanji is a welcome relief. As for Chopper, well, I just hope he will not get himself in too far over his little furry head. He is so innocent, the only Straw Hat in no real danger and it made him even more trusting which in this case, could be disastrous. Chopper should have let the secret agents go, as they would provide a nice distraction for Robin, even if she didn’t particularly need it. I just worry for Chopper’s safety, and hope that he will find his real friends soon. Now, the only thing left to do is to watch the episode. That shouldn’t be too hard.

Summary
Robin returns to the Sunny Go, the eighth member to arrive, and Franky greets her affectionately. Robin learns the condition of the crew, and the seeming stability of Brooke’s career brings a feeling of unease to the table.
Horrified by “Luffy’s” decision to abandon “Robin”, Chopper runs off in a fit. Luckily, he runs into the real Nami and Usopp, who explain situation with the fakes and calm the teenage reindeer down. Chopper is also much furrier, as noted by Nami.
Zoro and Sanji are still at each other’s throats, as Sanji can’t stand to babysit the directionally challenged man and cannot resist swooning over every woman he sees, while poor Zoro just wants to go fishing for some unexplained reason.
Nami gets a discount on clothing (how unusual), Chopper’s voice has changed due to reindeer puberty, and Luffy dons a fake nose/mustache to hide his identity by the end of this episode.
Thoughts
They changed the opening to show a scene of the Straw Hats fighting on a Marine ship. That is a fun addition, and I am glad I caught it. I don’t think I have mentioned it before, but I like seeing Gol D. Roger as a kid in the opening. I would like to hear more about the Pirate King when he was that age, but that is more a hopeful fantasy than a realistic possibility.
Franky Hits on a Fine Woman
The episode began where I hoped it would: following Robin’s return to Shakky’s bar. As she continues to be my favorite female Straw Hat, I am glad to see that she is doing well, and I am hopeful that nothing bad will come because of her time with the revolutionary army, namely secret agents tailing her.
On another note, I like the tropical wrap she is wearing. It is stylish and sophisticated, and it looks like something I would wear to the beach.  The score is also pretty; almost elegiac. It highlights the joy Robin must feel after coming home again.

Franky’s first remark upon seeing Robin again was amazing.

The moment is ruined: I just saw Franky’s new body, and it is weird. Well, I cannot say that the whole moment was ruined.  I don’t mind “Freaky Franky” quite so much now. It will depend on how much I see of him, and I may get used to his new body. It sounds like he is hitting on Robin, which, though disturbing, is also mildly amusing. 
There is a long, awkward, pause while Franky poses. Glad to see Robin is taking it all in stride, as she does so well. That is why Robin and Franky are my favorite Straw Hats. They are just interact so professionally with one another, no matter if the matter is silly or serious.
At Franky’s next line, and this I must quote for it is hard to wrap my mind around fully without solidly stating it, “Look at my body, it’s full of romantic masculinity!” Franky has not lost his place in my heart as my favorite male member of the Straw Hats. If anything he has gotten even more amusing, strange as the thought may be.
Franky's description of his new robot body reminds me of his failed "Tactic Fifteen" back on Thriller Bark, when he attempted to have them all join together to create one fighting force, similar to the Power Rangers with their machines merging to create a giant fighting robot.
Franky is a ladies’ man. How much more can you compliment a woman? Now of course he is praising her for calling him a pervert.  How incredible can Franky possibly be?
Did he always have such magnificent sideburns? I never noticed the sideburns when his glorious hair was on his head. I remain vexed that he shaved it all off.
On a more important note, I wish I could feel the ship's coating. It appears very amusing to touch. I suppose it would feel like jelly, but elastic enough to retain its shape.
It is a good sign that two of the most mature members of the crew got to the ship first, not counting Sanji and Zoro, of course. Sanji and Zoro both saw the ship, spoke with Rayleigh, and then decided to travel Sabaody for goods and recreation. Robin and Franky are hanging out on the ship, and Nami and Usopp have found each other and are catching up on old times. The peaceful mood is rather charming for this long-awaited get together.

Gangsta Franky
I’m glad to see those on the Sunny are discussing Brooke’s rise to fame, something I believe he deserved as he needed time to adapt to the modern world after being isolated for 50 years. He had been lonely for so long, it is important that he had this chance to see more of the world, and be loved. Even if it was the superficial love afforded to fame.
Fakes and “Friendships”
Poor Chopper is tagging along with the fake Straw Hats now. His naiveté is overwhelming. I am quite worried for the little fellow. He reacts to the whole “crew” as an excited little kid acts around a superhero, which is alarming considering how nasty this particular group of imposters is. Who knows, maybe this will come back to bite the group. I should not worry so much about Chopper, as he has most likely grown much stronger as well over the last few years, so he could probably handle them himself.
It was blatantly apparent that Chopper would get hurt in this manner.This situation could be remedied, if only a real crew member finds Chopper and briefs him to the situation. The secret government agents take care of Robin’s impostor for a while, and the Marines take the fake Straw Hats for a long ride. If left alone, things would work out for the crew. Unfortunately, Straw Hats are renown for screwing up even the best laid plans.
I look forward to seeing these fakes captured now, along with all of the brutes they recruited.
Bargains and Fishing with Zoro

Ah, Nami and her demands for discounts. Usopp is much calmer than he has been in the past, so that is a great sign. Nami isn’t as shrill either; she is just plainly demanding lower prices. The signs of maturity are abundant, and I appreciate them.

It’s just like old times, except that now over half the crew bares their midriff excessively, much to the opposite gender’s excitement. Zoro and Sanji are still at it, which makes me smile. Not all that much can change after two years, and Zoro and Sanji still hate each other’s guts. My favorite thing about Sanji’s directions to Zoro was that he was the one who ultimately got lost. Irony at its finest.

Advice to gentlemen: Never make this face, puff smoke-hearts, or say these words while addressing a lady. She will assuredly hit you with the nearest sharp object.
Why does Zoro have such an odd, sudden enjoyment for fishing? There must be more to this than they are letting on.
Reunion with True Friends, All Grown Up
Chopper’s voice sounds different. He was, technically a child when Luffy picked him up at Drum Kingdom, so maybe he has gone through reindeer puberty and is a teenager now? I like this idea, but I want to see what his reindeer form looks like. His dedication to Robin is unwavering as usual, which is excellent, as they are terrific friends and he is unendingly loyal to the woman, but in this particular case his devotion is misguided, as he is searching for the wrong Robin.
A thought just occurred to me: why doesn’t Chopper just use his nose to sniff each Straw Hat? He is a reindeer with a sensitive nose after all, so shouldn’t he recognize each crew member’s smell? Come now, Chopper, be reasonable.
Did I just see what I thought I just saw? Chopper as an adult reindeer? This is spectacular! Just look at how much the boy has grown these last two years. He is a full adult reindeer now, which will be excellent for combat.
I feel sorry for the poor guy; he is seriously hurt by this supposed betrayal of his beloved comrades. I hope that he can find his real friends soon so that he can be happy again. I should have seen this coming, after all, he was much too happy, and something sad would have to happen to him in order to remedy the situation his naivete brought him to.

My wish has been granted as two adorable crewmates are finally reunited after so long. Usopp and Chopper are very sweet together.

I share Nami’s fascination with Chopper’s cuddliness. I wonder just how furry and soft the not-so-little reindeer is?
I am so happy that they share information. That is most vexing part of any plotline, when characters have misunderstandings with their comrades. Now, Chopper won’t get into trouble, or get the crew into trouble. A plan might actually come together for once.
So Chopper actually mentions that the imposters did not smell familiar. He was so swept up in excitement that he tuned out his instincts which would have told him the truth. No one can blame the kid. I was worried that Oda overlooked Chopper’s sense of smell as a plot point.
Fools and Fights
Why do average pirates mistake the fakes for Sanji and Zoro so easily? It must be the great similarities between them and their real counterparts. Everyone knows how weird Sanji’s hair is and how much Zoro’s let himself go.
Silly me, I haven’t even mentioned Luffy’s absurd fake mustache yet. That really takes the cake, but, if it works, then I am all for it.

Zoro and Sanji are at it again. How much more epic will these squabbles between them be now that they have each grown so much?
Caribou and Coribou are a nasty pair with tongue and hair issues. I hope this event featuring the Marines goes over well. I am looking forward to some fun times with arresting real bad guys for once.
Final Thoughts
It’s the little things you are taught in life (and One Piece) which make it all worthwhile, right? It was a fabulous episode all around, as we get to see all of the Straw Hats. Chopper’s head is finally sorted out, Luffy finds similar trouble, and Zoro has an odd obsession with fishing. What a lovely episode!

Preview

No Preview today.


Thanks to everyone for being here today, watching this wonderful episode, and ect! See more and support the show at OnePieceOfficial.com~

2 comments:

  1. Well Sora, I guess you got some of your questions answered from back in ep.517

    For starters, I had to chuckle back then when you said how much more competent mentally Zoro had seemingly grown, seeing as he was the first one to arrive at Saobody... only to be followed by him committing quite possibly the DUMBEST MOMENT OF ONE PIECE HISTORY. He got on... the wrong... ship! Seriously? That is like up there with Luffy-ripping-off-the-mast-of-his-own-ship-to-stab-a-whale-with-it dumb.

    Second, we find out what that favor was that Nami had in mind for Usopp, thus we begin the very first chapter in the trials and tribulations of the new and improved Usopp. His first mission: Carrying Nami's Shopping Bags. Glad to see Sensei Hercules' training and Usopp's finely toned muscles being put to such effective use.

    If it sounds like I'm being sarcastically irate right now, I'm really not. I just find the whole situation hilarious.

    I do agree with you in the first few moments of the episode when Robin is approaching the ship. The music was very soft and delightful. Robin herself does look exquisite. One of the things I mentioned in my own review of the Straw Hats how she appeared to have gotten younger during the time skip. She looks and feels a ton more lively and free spirited than she ever did before.

    I also pretty much said all I needed to on Franky in said review, so I won't dwell on that.
    Thank you for reading that by the way. I know you told me about the first half, but if you still have yet to read the second part and want to, here's the link again:
    http://www.toy-tma.com/hot-toys/anime-cartoons/new-straw-hats-review-2/

    So technically Chopper was 15 years old pre time skip, which means he is 17 now. Did the Hito-Hito fruit make him age like a human too, because if he aged like a Reindeer, he should have become a full grown adult ages ago. Even by human standards, hitting puberty at 17 years is pretty late.

    Do you find it a bit ironic that while the first two straw hats to pair up, Usopp and Nami, have probably the best chemistry among the crew mates, and then the second pair of straw hats to meet, Zoro and Sanji, have the biggest rivalry? Not sure what that's suppose to mean, though I did find it funny that of all that time being apart their first gut reaction is to have a competition of "who can kill the other the fastest by doing the best Dragon Ball Z style power-up/shouting sequence."

    Seriously, that's what it looked like.

    Also, Luffy's mustache=Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, good point. It certainly does compete with Luffy’s little act there back, hm? Well, I just enjoyed seeing that part at long last, since I saved a quote from someone on Twitter last year when that chapter came out:
    “Zoro: ‘Wait, I'm on the wrong ship?!’
    *Cuts ship in half*
    Zoro~ Professional Problem Solver”
    To put it plainly, I greatly enjoyed seeing this scene, for pure comedic purposes. Ah, the price of understanding.

    Yes, that is true. Usopp is needed to help her carry her bags; but, hasn’t that always been the case? Whichever of the boys was unluckiest to be dragged along or stuck with Nami while she was shopping has always had to haul her purchases. The (finely toned~) muscles do help though. And do not worry, I do agree with you: it is quite amusing.

    Well, spending two years with a group of revolutionaries who oppose their government, sharing a comment interest, and that group just happened to also have been searching for her for several years now anyway, in order to help her out, would bring peace to anyone’s mind. Or, at least make them very happy in way of giving them open resources to knowledge about the world which, I am sure, she was very glad to be privy to. As a researcher myself, I would be in high spirits as well if I had just spent two years with a rebel group who had a lot of historical, cultural, and political secret information that I could learn, and people who share common interests who I could study with. Also, she may have had the chance to share some of her own knowledge, and if I know Robin as I believe I do, that would have made her very happy as well.

    [Mentioning your own review of the Post-Time Skipped characters, did I mention before how much I enjoyed your caption for Sanji’s picture? Excellent. Actually, everything that you mentioned about Sanji I seemed to agree with; whether humorous or serious. It was very well done.
    One note: Robin has now met the OTHER most-wanted person in the world. She is also one of the top 3 or so “Most Wanted” on the Marine’s lists, if only for her knowledge of the Poneglyphs. I believe the Revolutionaries are in possession of or know the location of a Poneglyph or two, and that though they may have not needed or wanted to know what they said for their own sakes, they may have wanted to help out Robin in her own goals of finding all the Poneglyphs by letting her read them. That would be a very nice thing for them to do.
    Zoro’s scar mirroring the scar Rayleigh has across his eye in accordance to their positions of First Mate on their respective crews? Very likely. Hmm…I was under the impression that the eye was sliced beyond use, but if Rayleigh can use that eye (or at least open the lid), then perhaps Zoro can get function back in his as well. I do know that when pictures leaked last Fall, I was Very dismayed (to say it gently) to see Zoro’s eye.
    I was under the impression that Luffy’s mark on his chest was the burn he received while unconscious when Jinbe was fleeing with him, and Akainu tried to punch a hole through his chest as well, but it only went in part-way. That was (I believed) one of the reasons why Luffy was in such serious condition.]

    In regards to Chopper’s ageing…I suppose the Human Human Fruit messed with his biological clock. He ate it when he was a baby reindeer, correct? So it may have stalled his natural reindeer aging process (when he is in “normal reindeer” form), and so he is only appearing to have reached these stages now. Unsure about true method, but that is my speculation.

    The chemistry between crew members is very good for plot development; if they had all arrived one-by-one or all in pairs, then it would be to stylesque, and there would be no fun in it. By diversifying who they met up with and the particular interactions with the crew members themselves, Oda-sama caused a fun, entertaining reunion before the complete collaboration of the crew.

    Dragon Ball Z power-up/shouting sequences I can approve of~

    Thanks for your wonderful review, as always!

    ReplyDelete