Tuesday, December 31, 2013

One Piece More: End of 2013


I sure hope I didn't make a resolution to be more active on this site because if I did then I pretty much failed at doing that.

The 2013 is about to come to an end or maybe depending on where and when you are reading this. Though, it is never too late to look back at it and think about some of the great One Piece stuff that has happen and say a few things.



Best Moments of 2013
One Piece had a lot of great moments but I think I will pick out the top ones that really stood out to me this year.

3) Enies Lobby Arc Completing in the Dub

I have never watched the Enies Lobby arc before so when Funimation started to release these episodes on DVD then it was a real treat. They were certainly an experience to sit though as you can start to see where Toei started to handle the anime a little different. Toei's habits of slow pacing, long previous episode recaps, filler, and dragging things out began to developed. It isn't as bad as the current arc's but watching those episodes at the beginning of Enies Lobby was kind of painful.

Then it all ended with the episode I have been waiting seven years to see dubbed.

Episode 312: Thank You Merry! Snow Falls Over the Parting Sea

Ever since Funimation took over the rights to dub One Piece, I have been wanting to watch this episode. It was amazing to finally hear it in English and it really makes a difference. Just hearing the lines in your own language impacts you in ways that you wouldn't get if you watch it via subs or in print. Tears were coming down my face as we watch Merry's final moments and her goodbye to the Straw Hats. It was really something to watch.

The episode wasn't perfect as they didn't dub Dear Friends but I guess not everything can be perfect. It was well worth the wait to watch this episode.

2) Weekly Shonen Jump
It was cool to have One Piece reach over 300 million volumes. 

January 2013 was when it finally happen. We got a weekly and legal way to read One Piece right along side with Japan. This was something that I never would have thought happen four years ago. I wanted this to happen but did I think it would? Not this soon. We had hope last year but it actually happen much sooner then expected.

Of course, there will always be people who will leak the weekly chapter from Japan earlier then expected. I hope they know how much they are disrespecting the wishes of the Japanese creators. This is all for another article though.

My lunch hour on Monday has become much more exciting as I pull out my iPod Touch and download the latest One Piece chapter. There has been some major reveals this years as well and it is great to have a professional done translation then some rush job. The art look beautiful if you looked at our Manga reviews. A huge thanks goes out to the team at Viz Media that worked on Weekly Shonen Jump because they do great work!

1) Strong World

Lastly, the release of Strong World was the biggest moment for me involving One Piece. I have been waiting since 2010 for this movie and refuse to watch subtitles for this. The wait was well worth it as we watch the Straw Hats go on their final adventure before eventually being split up.

We get to see a lot of great Brook moment as he takes the time to shine in this movie. Ian Sinclair is a perfect fit for Brook and has that laugh down to the dot. I look forward to hearing him again in what will be Season 6.

The movie itself was pretty much what everybody said it is. A perfect stand alone One Piece movie that anybody could see. It had action, comedy and just the Straw Hats being themselves. It is well worth watching several times and if you have a friend who isn't into anime or One Piece then show them this.

Other Things

I understand things have been slow around these parts. A job really does take a lot of your motivation away from doing other things. Then there are things happening in real life that has slow me down. Being an uncle is one of those things. Who would have guess that having an awesome niece would be so tiring, fun and just plain enjoyable.

I went to France back in August and that was an adventure in itself. I had a pretty great time there and it really felt wonderful to just be on the grand tide of adventure like one of the Straw Hats. Braving the unknown in a country that isn't your own. I saw some great sights and went to many interesting places. It was pretty much the adventure that I would love to take again and put wind in my sails.

By the way, French people love One Piece. I saw commercials for Pirate Warriors 2 and people at Asterix and Disneyland Paris wearing One Piece stuff.

Did I mention I have been playing a lot of Pokemon? Yeah. I have.


I have some plans in my head to help pick things up. I want to get more writers which is basically that plan. So the invitation is there. If you love One Piece and like to write then just send us an email at OnePieceataTimeBlog(at)gmail.com.

2013 was a blast and I am sure 2014 will be even better for One Piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment