Monday, December 31, 2012

One Piece More: Sailing Out of 2012


Amazing how fast a year can go. One day you are reading a manga chapter where the Straw Hats are leaving Fishman Island. Later on, you are watching an anime episode where the Straw Hats are leaving Fishman Island.

A lot has happen with One Piece this year. So, let take a look at some of our favorite moments involving One Piece that has happen in 2012.



Top 3 One Piece Moments in 2012

Neku's Picks
 #3: Punk Hazard Arc (SPOILERS: Highlight to read)

The current arc in the manga is closely coming to an end, while I do have some issues with it. I still enjoyed what I've read. The way the island was explored as well as the actual threat and plotting that goes on is quite different from what we've seen before and the art as always is beautiful. I want to see where this is going for Luffy and the Straw Hats in terms of their overall voyage in the New World. How this will effect the overall world? Because, as we all know by now, its impossible to keep the Straw Hats silent and that the way we like it. 

Also, this will be getting animated starting next week and I want to see how Toei is going to handle this. The Japanese VA for Frieza from Dragon Ball Z is going to be Caesar Clown and that alone may make me hate him a little less. Just a little bit though. :P

#2: Meeting Chris Sabat


In March, I went to Sunny Con with my brother because I had never been to an anime convention before and we thought it would be fun. For a first con, it was really fun! I got some figures, I met with friends, the other people who went were nice too. But I also got to meet MasakoX of TeamFourStar fame, Veronica Taylor who was the original VA of Ash from Pokemon, but the most important was Chris Sabat who of course voices our own Roronoa Zoro.

I got my DVD copy of Collection Two (which had Zoro on the cover signed) and he seemed like a really nice guy. The reason this is my number two is because it was pretty personal to actually meet someone involved with one of the best anime series ever. I proudly display my copy on my shelf and I don't regret it one bit. Maybe someday I can get autographs from the other Straw Hats...

#1: Watching Season 4 Dubbed (Partly)


This might be cheating because my #1 pick from last year was experiencing One Piece in English but that was only from the first collection that Funimation had put out. Over this past year I have collected seven more DVD collections from the middle of the Baratie Arc and all the way towards the end of the G8 arc.

Needless to say, it was a blast! Because my collection was almost in full order, the only thing I had to do was to buy the brand new Season 4 sets which were released in August and October (still waiting on the 3rd DVD release and the last one is out in March next year). When I finally stuck the DVD in the player and got One Piece in English AND in widescreen, it was like a dream come true. 

Everything was absolutely perfect. The VAs have gotten so good at these roles that they can practically play them in their sleeps and the new VAs for characters like Foxy or Kokoro are just SPOT ON. Its everything I wanted as a fan and I'm going to continue buying these, knowing that I'll have every episode of One Piece released in English.

Zenith's Picks (SPOILERS: Highlight to read)

 #3: Law Shenanigans
Law vs. Smoker and Law switching Smoker's body with Tashigi.

#2: The Power of Caesar Clown 
Ceasar Clown taking down the strawhats without touching them.

#1: Zoro beheading a dragon. 
Easily the best.


Mikey's Picks
#3: Finally Leaving Fishman Island


After being in Fishmand Island for over a year, it was nice to finally leave that place. The Fishman Island Arc was disappointing after spending several years building up to it.

We had to deal with lackluster villains who goal was as plain and boring as they were. Oda tried hard to make us care about them but seeing how fast each commander was disposed of by the Straw Hats prove that they were just not worth our time. I know Oda wanted to show how powerful the Straw Hats have gotten in the last two years but that didn't lead to satisfyingly fights. There were some good characters in the arc but I was happy to finally leave the island and the horrible characters that reside there.

Luckily for us, next year brings us the Punk Hazard Arc which will wash away the horrid taste of Fishman Island from our minds.


#2: One Piece: Season 4


It has been over a year since we last had a One Piece DVD set with new dubbed material and the wait was well worth it. Voyage 1 for One Piece Season 4 came out and people rejoiced.  The voice actors for the Straw Hats were at the top of their game. It was exciting to know that with each passing episode that we were getting closer to the much awaited Water 7 Arc.

Then we will not have to wait long for Season 5 which includes Enies Lobby because Funimation has already acquire the rights to those episodes. Until then, we get to watch Luffy duke it out against Usopp over the faith of the Merry while a mystery is afoot in the canals of Water 7 involving Robin's dark past.

#1: Shonen Jump Alpha


People have always been saying that there should be a legal way to read One Piece as it comes out in Japan. Then in late 2011, Viz announced Shonen Jump Alpha which will release translated chapters of One Piece and other Japanese Shonen Jump titles. It was two weeks behind but it was a step in the right direction.

You think it would be hard to resist the urge to go to a scanlation site to read ahead. To tell the truth, it is not. The quality is ten times better then any scanlation site. I have to replace the images that Neku uses with those from Shonen Jump Alpha and notice that SJA's are much more clearer and nicer in comparison. It is simply amazing to see that we finally got a legal way to read manga online.

Then the best just keeps getting better! Starting next month, SJA will be releasing the new chapters along side with JSJ. No more being two weeks behind. Of course, the scanlators will be releasing their chapters three days before JSJ actually hits the streets but this news is amazing. If you are not already subscribe to SJA and reading One Piece then get on it! I have already renew my subscription and can't wait for next month.

2013 Wishlist
One Piece is all about dreaming. So how about we take some time to dream about what we want to see in 2013 for One Piece.

Neku's Wishlist
#3: More Potential Crossovers


I love crossovers. One Piece and Toriko are practically a match made in heaven. But I want to see more and not just Toriko. I want to see more Jump characters or series combine with One Piece and create something awesome whether it be in manga or anime form. One Piece teaming up with the likes of Gintama or Hunter x Hunter, there are plenty of current shonen out there that I just want to collide with the One Piece world. Maybe some issues will get in the way but, just like with my number one pick, all I'm asking for...please?

#2: More acquisitions from Funimation
We all know that Funimation are planning to release Season 5 and the movie Strong World starting next year, but of course I want to see more. When I say more, I mean everything. I want to see the past movies being released, the recent Film Z being released, any more of the specials or OVAs and of course more seasons. I know its impossible for ALL of these things being announced next year but even if only one new season gets announced or one movie gets announced, that will be enough for me.

#1: Getting Licensed in the UK

I know I've said before and that its very unlikely at this point One Piece will ever get licensed over here but I want to stay positive for the future. Just this last year, the UK FINALLY saw the release of Dragon Ball Z on DVD in the UK. Yes, it is an inferior release but I don't care. People have been asking for YEARS and it finally happened. Manga Entertainment has shown interest in the past along with Kaze who has distributed One Piece DVDs in both Germany and France (maybe more countries) and I think the two should collaborate to bring us this brilliant series. Even if it doesn't happen for another few years, I want to believe in the UK anime industry that we will get One Piece no matter what it takes.

Mikey's Wishlist
#2: More One Piece News
I am mostly talking about new for the US but this applies to the whole world outside of Japan. It is a given that there will be One Piece news for Japanese fans. They are who the series is being cater for. One Piece news for the US sort of a rarity. Now that we are getting Season 5 and Strong World, Funimation will most likely not focus on the series until those two things are finally being release or worked on. Viz could always announce something One Piece related such as Chapter Zero to tie in with Strong World. There are always Colorwalks to work on as well.

Am I jeasous of Japan to always have the One Piece news? Yes I am. That is why I hope that the US and other countries to have a piece of the One Piece news.

#1: Strong World


It would be amazing to get Strong World by the end of 2013. I know some people are thinking it will be coming out next year but I do not think so looking at how much Funimation has to do for One Piece. The last set of Season 4 comes out in March and it may take another year to see the end of Season 5.

That does not stop me from hoping that Strong World will be release in 2013. There are no confirm reports that it won't come out next year so hopefully 2013 will be the year.

Also, with Strong World, we get to hear the voice for Brook. That will put to rest all the predictions on which VA will play him. Brook is a fun character and seeing him dubbed will be wonderful.


So, that is it. Depending on when you read this, 2012 will have already pass and we will be in 2013. It is a brand new year filled with big things for One Piece. How about you share your favorite moments and what you wish for involving One Piece in the comments.

So, Happy New Year and for smooth sailing in 2013!



2 comments:

  1. Here is my wish list for One Piece in 2013

    3. Funimation, DO NOT rename Sogeking to The Sniper King like they did in the manga. It just doesn't sound as fun. He is Sogeking, and he will always be Sogeking.

    2. Screwattack, your Death Battle segment this year is awesome, but I really want to see one of Luffy vs. Naruto, with Purpleeyeswtf playing Luffy and LittleKariboh playing Naruto.

    1. Funimation again, please cast Greg Eagles in the role of Brook. One of his most memorable roles is someone who already looks and sounds almost identical to Brook (he plays Grim in the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.) I cannot think of anyone else off the top of my head who would sound more perfect. If you can't get him, than at the very least, can you find someone who is of either Jamaican, African, or Australian decent?

    Please and thank you.

    P.S. (while I'm at it)
    Nolan North as X Drake
    Grey DeLisle as Jewelry Bonney.
    Dante Basco as Basil Hawkins.
    Jack Black as Scratchmen Apoo
    Greg Baldwin as Jimbe (for his spot on Mako impersonation)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are the New Years Resolutions for the Straw Hat Pirates:

    Brook: Tell a Joke that is not a Skull Joke.
    Perform with at lest 2 new musical instruments.

    Franky: Try a new energy source.
    Like Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. What would that do to you?
    Whatever you do don't get Zoro's sake supply mixed with your fuel. That would be frightening.

    Robin: Spandam still isn't dead yet. Correct that for good next time you see him.

    Chopper: Make that cure for cluelessness for Zoro and Sanji already. Don't bother with Luffy though, that's hopeless.

    Sanji: More cooking-centric episodes. Those are your best moments.

    Usopp: When you go to Elbaf, recruit 8000 giants as your supporters.

    Nami: Let us see what the current map of the world looks like.
    Stop spending all of your crew's money on breast implants every season.

    Zoro: You're the first mate. Act like it.
    Don't steal Sanji's shtick of not being able to fight women.
    ...oh yeah, and buy a GPS.

    Luffy: Please note the following asses; Eustass Kid, Donquixote Doflamingo, Fleet Admiral Akainu, and Marshall D. Teach.
    Kick them. Hard.

    ReplyDelete