Saturday, September 17, 2011

Anime: Post Marineford Arc- Episode 514


Ahh! It was my face! They do things right at OnePieceOfficial.com. Just not today. It burns…

First Thoughts
I was not sure what this episode would portray, to be quite honest. With all of the talk about the 15th opening coming soon, I haven’t paid much attention to other One Piece related discussion in a week or so. However, I was quite curious to see how Nami would wrangle herself back on good terms with the little old men in the clouds, and Franky is always fun to watch (except right now, because he blew up priceless technology and information. He blew himself up as well.) However, I have to admit, Fate has found a way to hurt me once more. Again, I am stuck reviewing Sanji’s segment on Peachy Island. Oh, my pain…my terrible, terrible pain…


Summary
Three crew members approach their captain’s message similarly.
Nami sorts out her issues with the Weatheria wizards (more or less) and decides to stay and learn as much as she can about weather in the New World.
After searing his skin off his face and upper body  as a result of the explosion, Franky frightens his hosts with his robotic appearance. Discovering a secret laboratory behind the imploded, more popular lab, the shipwright is fascinated by research Vegapunk left behind and decides to live in the laboratory for a while. With the local Marines on the lookout for him, he frightens them away in a manner that was unintended, and becomes the cause of yet another legend of Baltimore: the Legendary Burning Tiger.
Discovering that Ivankov knows of useful recipes that “build the body”, Sanji focuses on conquering the Queen Okama’s challenge: gathering 99 recipe scrolls from Okama Kempo masters across the island while keeping his manliness in-tact.
Thoughts
It is just me who notices that in each episode that portrays one of Sanji’s storylines, the episode is titled for his actions? I believe it is in tribute to the horror which unfolds around him, and that he must struggle through each episode to keep his manhood. I am not very good at describing this, seeing as I am a lady and have no idea what guys think of this. I just find it an ironic, but terrible situation for the (handsome) ladies-man Sanji. Oh, poor Sanji.
Nami and the Not-So-Pure-at-Heart Old Folks
So, here is Nami acting just like she did last time. Here are the little old wizards trying not to fall for it this time. Wait, is Nami stripping? Not such a great thing to see from her. But, Nami’s manipulations actually are not as effective as they have been. I think she just needs to apologize sincerely, and figure out how to  make the nice old men happy with her again. She was quite rude to them, after all.
I believe these old men are much too easy to manipulate.
She needs a house, a Jacuzzi, and a large closet. Of course she expects these nice elderly people to give her anything she wants. She is just an innocent young girl, right? She is so punctual when she states all of these things. It is very amusing.
So, it looks like all of the Straw Hats are going to have some flashbacks. I am excited because, they are completely different from the way we originally saw them. They are actually re-animated scenes by the new animators. The animation we have been seeing throughout the entire Whitebeard War is exceptional, and I am looking forward to seeing the flashbacks recreated in high quality as well.
This is interesting: Nami just read about that island where Urouge could not disembark, the one which rains lightning strikes to the ground. I would like to understand this phenomenon as well.
So, Nami admits her need for education. That is good; now both she and Chopper can be knowledgeable about the New World before they arrive. Excellent!

Well, this is great! Nami is finally being reasonable. I like this. I am also jealous, because I want to learn these things too!
Nami is so going to put a Weather Ball in her Clima-Tact. I can tell. It is that omniscient “woman’s intuition” that all women have, of course. This is a really happy ending though, and I am very glad she could work things out, in a manner of speaking. Still, she and Chopper are in paradise right now, so I am happy for them.
Searching the Mechanical Island for Gorillas
Here we go: onto discussing events on Baltimore, the winter island Franky just blew up. Franky is ridiculous. If only he could have controlled his insanity for just a few moments, this wouldn’t have happened. He wouldn’t have burnt his face, he wouldn’t have frightened so many people (and possibly killed the Marines inside the compound), and he definitely would not have destroyed countless hours of precious work and knowledge from a genius.
Needless to say, if I ever get my hands on Franky…
A rather rude Marine says that Franky looks like a gorilla. Of course, the Marine who walks up next looks like a gorilla himself.
Hidden entrance? How mysterious! It does not sate my rage.
Ahh! Franky’s appearance is so weird.
Wow is all I can say. This is mind blowing. I honestly never even thought of the idea that Franky’s destruction of something so priceless could reveal another, perhaps more important library than before. Astounding!
Wait, human cells? I even saw a drawing of a devil fruit design! That is so cool!
So Rockets + Devil Fruits = Cyborg Gorillas? It must be rocket science.
In any case, these are awesome designs. I would love to see the research. I love studying cells and how to mutate them. This would be a goldmine for me.
I love how everyone freaks out when Franky announces that he has made up his mind to live there. Of course, the kid and the grandpa probably are equally frightened by his face and his choice to live in the cave for a while.
Oh, haha, they are freaking out about his face. That’s funny!

I like the headgear. It’s stylish! Furthermore, why choose pants when you have perfectly functioning fire-breath? It’s silly to choose pants over fire. Really now! Grilling hammers over a nice, roasting fire with terrified citizens cowering in the background. What a pleasant winter evening!
I really like Franky’s flashbacks. They are nice. I think I can forgive Franky now, if only because of the new laboratory he discovered hidden behind the old one, and only because of that.
He set himself on fire, didn’t he? Well, a flaming, robotic tiger is sure to keep the Marines away for a while, so no worries there. Oh, and now he is part flying squirrel.
Good work Franky; now you have started two legends about this island. Those poor people will be forever plagued by these legends. Of course, this doesn’t stop the stories from being fun for the viewers. How excellent!
Survival of the Fittest: His Manliness on the Line
Poor, poor Sanji, is it too much to ask that I get to review a simple episode with Robin, or Zoro, or even featuring the Marines? No, I always have to handle Sanji’s plight on the Island of Okamas. Pitiful old me!
I cannot believe how relaxed Sanji is right now. He is calmly sitting, having dinner with the Queen of Okamas and pleasant dinner conversation. I wonder if he realizes he could be made a woman at any moment. That would be awkward.
I love this. I love this so much. Sanji is the first Straw Hat to tell someone else about the message, even though it is most likely because it is Ivankov and he knows Luffy. Sanji continues to be rude about it, almost rubbing it in Ivankov’s (big) face that he knows the secret message because he is one of Luffy’s friends. Just look at that face. This is the face which will make Nami and Robin fall in love with him for certain.
That is a very attractive face, Sanji. Hordes of women will fall in love with this face.
I would watch what I eat if were Sanji, although I worried when he reacted suddenly to eating the food. I was worried Ivankov had pulled some funny trick and put weird hormones into the food. I worry about these things, you know.
That is a very interesting speech, Ivankov. I have to say, this is really unexpected. Of all the Straw Hats, I seriously could not come up with something that Sanji could learn on this island to improve his skills like the rest of the Straw Hats. Except perhaps leg strength if he has to constantly run from all those okama. If he receives lessons on the food preparation and cooking skills on this island, that would be a good use of his time. I received no spoilers about this, so this is really interesting to hear. I didn’t hear many spoilers about this island mainly because my main source of intelligence for the spoilers was a guy, who was disturbed by this island. I’m just as disturbed, which is funny in of itself.

The first time I have really seen him relaxed since arriving on Peachy Island. Of course food builds the body, Sanji. How far in the past is One Piece set that he does not know basic nutrition? He is supposed to be a chef, no? This shocked me that he was surprised to learn this.
He couldn’t go twenty seconds without having a perverted thought after thinking of the words “body,” “building,” and “their”. I wonder how the okamas will react to his perverted thoughts…
Ivankov did not react well at all. It was funny, yes, but not good for Sanji.
Barrel-roll to the Face
Oh? An impressive speech is on its way. “I wasn’t born to be friends with ladies.” I remember receiving the spoiler for this. “I was born to…” Of course, “…love ladies!” I really like Ivankov’s reaction. He made a weird sound effect.
What an evil challenge! I am so glad I did not get a spoiler for this, because this is a great challenge! Other than the creepy okamas trying to turn him into one of them day and night, this is a very realistic challenge that Ivankov created. It is cool that he has even given Sanji a chance. That is nice of him. Of course, it is kind of horrible for Sanji to be even unable to sleep at night without fear of the okamas trying to convert him. Scary!
This isn’t even just a personal challenge to improve his cooking anymore. If he wins, he improves his cooking, most likely his leg strength from running constantly, and receives a ship to leave the island. If he lets his guard down for even one moment however, then he will be forcibly made an okama. What horror this challenge presents.
What a time to have a flashback! What a flashback it is, re-mastering the original storyline with the new animation. It looks beautiful! I have wanted to see this segment for a while, and it looks even better than I imagined!
One of my favorite quotes from the series is: “Even if hundreds of weapons are built in, he can be defeated by someone with a spear of blind determination.” I love this line. The line Sanji says in his head about the okama's island is priceless as well. 

I think my favorite part of this episode is the great music playing at the end, when Sanji’s determination causes him to accept the challenge even when the odds are stacked against him. That is great music, gloriously melodic and rhythmic.
Preview

No preview needed, seeing as the episode just premiered.

Thanks again to everyone who came out to read this review today, and enjoy the next episode on OnePieceOfficial.com! See you again next weekend. 


Written by: Sora
Edited by: Dsaftler

1 comment:

  1. I wonder when Nami will stop being a culmination of every single personality trait in women that I despise? Quadropolar mood swings: check. Physiologically manipulative: check. Obsessed with money: check. Abusing old people...and EVERYONE else she is associated with: Check and mate. Seriously, she behaves more like a princess than... well... the Princess of Alabasta.
    This is what you get with someone who spends eight whole years given all the clothes and accommodations she wants and all she has to do in return is do something she was already going to do herself in the first place.
    I get that the circumstances were a bit more brutal then that, but even after Luffy and the others saved her ass from that tragedy, she joins the crew and proceeds to...

    Physically abuse the captain on a regular basis (even though he's made of rubber and shouldn't be hurt by blunt attacks but is anyway.)
    Disagree with the First Mate on just about everything, even going so far as to insult his pride and hypocritically call him a coward.
    Manipulates the Marksmen to make her a weapon that is more powerful than anything he makes for himself (for free).
    As for the Cook, well given his past of being trapped on an island for 30 days with a bag full of treasure and nothing to eat, it actually irritates me to no end that he's completely whipped under this girl who holds money to such high importance. Seriously, he KNOWS from experience how unimportant money really is! There are so many better women out there Sanji! WHY?!

    While it is nice to see these flash backs and for Nami to say how she's working for someone other than herself, why do I get the feeling the second she get's back to the crew she will immediately snap back to her regular routine of constantly yelling at everyone for being an idiot?

    Well... maybe because of circumstances like the one Franky's in.
    ...yeah...
    Gotta admit, his exploded face, while hilarious the first time, does get hard to look at after a while. The addition of the tiger skin, alright I laughed at that.

    Sucks to be the marines now. No more factory for them to fully take advantage of a brilliant mind to take more weapons from him and further escalate violence.

    I definitely agree with you on the music in the final moments. Congratulations on making it through yet another of these Okama episodes. If your lucky, this could very well be the last one.

    ReplyDelete