Sunday, September 1, 2013

One Piece More: Four Year Anniversary- Bon Voyage


Bon voyage! Have the courage, set sail and believe and we will see a glimpse of the sun rising on a tomorrow! Back when we first started we had separate horizons. Sailed toward different dreams. Things have changed now.






It has been four years since I had first started this blog to talk about One Piece. Just like the words above, things have changed. They have changed for the One Piece fandom and for this site. Some for the better and some of the not so better.


When this site started, One Piece was just a show that was bray trying get a hold on the American market while raising to new levels of popularity in Japan. A new movie that was being overseen by Oda was about to be release in a matter of months in Japan while DVDs of the Skypeia arc finally being release in the US. Then, we had the simulcast  finally starting up so we can watch One Piece episodes one hour after they air in Japan. If you wanted to read the manga, then you had to deal with being over forty volumes behind what was happening in Japan.

Here is an image of Nami's butt

Then not long after, we saw things pick up. Viz announced that they will do a massive speed up to narrow the gap between the Japanese and the American releases. Four volumes of a month for six months while Shonen Jump was going to jump four arcs to Impel Down to feature more recent chapters of the series. That was big news back then. While One Piece was enjoying massive success in Japan, things were getting better here.

Fast forward to now, the One Piece anime is finally on TV. That was something we have always been wanting ever since it was pulled off Toonami. We have One Piece: Strong World coming out in a few months and the DVDs are running though Enies Lobby. Then on the manga side, we finally got what we all been wanting. A legal way to read the weekly chapters via Weekly Shonen Jump. The manga is now five chapters behind the Japanese release but things are pretty good.

During all of that, this site has been watching it all. We were pretty good on being on top of things when all of this was happening. Now, I admit that in the last year we have started to decline in post output. That is kind of my fault due to finally making it to "adulthood". I guess it is true what they say. You have all the time in the world back in college. It was much easier to run a blog when you had school as your main thing. Who knew that having a full time job would make you tired? I certainly didn't.


Does that mean that my love for One Piece has dwindle? Maybe a little. It isn't as strong as it was when I first started but I still love the series. Every other week I come on this site to write up a review where I make horrible predictions. I do not think I have been right once with those predictions but it is still fun to just make them and having people read them.

Now, we are entering the next year and I have been thinking about what to do next. Is it time to finally say "Bon Voyage"? I do not think so. If anything, I think we need to take the helm. Cast off our troubles. Though the future is unclear, we can still smile, we know we'll get there.

I think it is time to have some new writers for the site that have a love for this series and have great ideas for articles. Love to report news? Want to write interesting pieces about your favorite characters? Love to look though One Piece fanart? Have an interesting idea for an article? Want to write about the anime? Welcome aboard! I will take you on. Just send me an email at OnePieceataTimeBlog(at)Gmail(dot)com and we can see what we can do. It is time to expand the crew and I am taking on people.


So, that is the plan for now. Until then, enjoy our weekly thoughts about the manga, Roger's List and whatever articles I have plan up.

I said this before and I will say it again. One Piece has the best fans. Just look at what I said before, we went from having just DVDs and volumes being twenty volumes behind to now being caught up and same day episode and chapter releases. What is next?

You and those dreams are precious in my life. A glimpse of the sun rising on a tomorrow!

1 comment: