Friday, August 27, 2010

Interview Piece: Stephanie Young

I step into the panel room after a quick dinner with friends. As I open the door, the sound of a sweet voice welcomes me. I looked to the center of the room to see a young lady in a black dress singing while being accompany by a man in glasses with a guitar. I took my seat and listen to the young lady sing in a jazzy tone. When the young lady was done with her musical performance, I walked up to her and that was when the interview with Stephanie Young at AKon began.

Some things to know, this interview was suppose to take ten minutes but Stephanie and I had too much fun here. We were kind of under a time limit since the original time for this interview was earlier but it had to be postpone due to the autograph session lasting longer then it was suppose to. Another thing to know was originally Stephanie didn't allow me to record the interview but I think she pity me or something when she saw my inability to take notes and conduct an interview at the same time. I would like to thank her for that since it really helped make this interview fun. haha Still that will explain why the interview started out with her talking instead of me introducing her similar to past interviews. The question I asked her was the normal one that is always asked, "How much One Piece has she seen?" Her response was very surprising I have to say.

Lastly, I didn't conduct this interview in a skirt! No matter what the pictures say! haha Still to the interview!

Stephanie Young: We didn't start in the beginning.

MS: It was...the one fifties.

SY: Was it the one fifties?

MS: Yeah, you started in the Sky-Sky Island arc.

SY: Skypeia!

MS: Skypeia Arc!

SY: Yeah we did. Then we had to go back and of course Robin wasn't in those beginning episodes. But initially when we first starting to record I was able to watch some of it and watch the movies… which was great! So I was able to watch some of it and tried to get the gist of the show because there is a lot of pressure coming into a show when another group has recorded it. I'm sure they did their best, they followed direction, and then the property was taken from them. So you want to make sure that you do it justice so the fans are happy.

MS: Yeah. I remember the whole- I don't want to say controversy but they, the fans, were going "How was this be handle? They say they going to do a good uncut job of it but that what the other company said in the beginning."

SY: Right. It can be very complicated you know. Who owns the property and them giving us direction on how to record it and produce it. It’s very particular…its very precise. It’s good though. I don't have a problem with that. It makes everyone stay on their toes.

MS: And I can agree. We all love your job as Nico Robin especially over the last one.

SY: Yeah? That’s so cool. It's a real honor to voice her.

MS: Okay, what you like about One Piece since you have done so many things before.

SY: It’s so much fun! That is one of the things I love about the show. Of course there are some intense moments, especially between Robin and Crocodile…that whole story and their relationship. It is exciting because it’s that kind of show that gives you a lot of range to work with. It can be completely goofy and fun one second and very serious the next. I have worked on some other shows that were crazy fun…I worked on shows like Shin Chan and  Desert Punk. One Piece explores so many areas of emotion. I think that is maybe one of the reasons why this show is so popular. Don't you think?

MS: Yeah, I think so. I mean you got the funny, goofy stuff but then you also get serious like in a snap *snaps fingers* and you just want to know what will happen after that. Or even when it is serious, you still get something funny out of it.

SY: Exactly. And when you think about it, Robin's past: being separated from her mother at a young age and fleeing and then going into a life of crime and then getting out of that. Its a very interesting story. When I read about her and audition, I just- I didn't want to get too excited because I liked her so much and I thought, "Everybody with a low voice wants to voice Robin. So just go in, do your best and if it happens, great." And thankfully it went well!  I am so glad because the Japanese had to approve. As you know, they had to approve all of our voices. So I was on cloud nine when I found out that I booked the role.

MS: And then literally you were on clouds-

SY: Right!

*Laughter*

SY: That is a nice tie-in! Yeah and there we are! On Skypeia! *Laughter*

MS: And then Robin is a serious character but also, you are on a crew with a bunch of silly characters. How can you stay so serious when you got (*Laughter from Stephanie*) so many silly, goofy characters running around on that one ship?

SY: Right. You know, that is so much fun because I sit there and I hear my friends. I am friends with all these guys…like Brina, she is on our album and we are dear friends. It is so much fun to hear them to just go insane and crazy and over the top. Of course Robin is always *Changes to a serious, deep, Robin-esque voice* serious and cool and coherent. *Back to her normal voice* I love that about her, and as a singer it is nice to voice characters like Robin. It doesn't hurt. You know, you don't have to push it and yell so much.

MS: Your voice is so similar to her anyways. I mean its- Its like- Umm...I don't know. One Piece has so many roles, has so many characters where. Oh okay, you got Chris Sabat who just sounds...sounds like he just drinks coffee at the same time.

*Laughter*

MS: *In a (bad and not really trying) Chris Sabat impression* "Oh okay, I am playing Zoro today. *Makes sipping sounds* Okay. What to do? "Ahhhhh~""

*Laughter*

SY: Right…right. Oh, he's wonderful! But umm...yeah. Robin was…she found a place in my voice that was very comfortable. Love how she is so calm and in control. I would like to be that way in my life. I try. And when she busts out with her, you know, power. That is pretty amazing.

MS: I got a question. How good are you in Spanish? I mean half of her attacks are in Spanish.

SY: Right…Spanish and French.

MS: Spanish and French.

SY: Umm...I studied a little-, un pequeno, a little bitty bit of Spanish… I haven't studied any French. I studied Latin and German in college.  I don't know why. It was fun! No, I count on the directors for the pronunciation…like Mike McFarland and Catlin Glass. We had quite a few different directors that worked on One Piece. They were always very prepared.

MS: About the characters, how are your favorite characters to work with? I mean you don't, you are not in the booth with them so you have to deal with the characters in person and sometimes they are in Japanese right?

SY: Umm...Wait wait, you are talking within the show that I get to react off?

MS: Within the show.

SY: Nami. I love Luci Christian. She is amazing.  I also love it whenever Robin is sort of, I wouldn't say bossing around Chris's character. Zoro, Zolo…we had a couple of versions… But when she is giving him a hard time… that is a whole lot of fun. It's hard to say. All of them are very exciting. Oh! Definitely, I’ll throw this out there…Michael Tatum as Eneru.

MS: Oh yeah.

SY: So good. I remember once that we were joking about the fact that we had a scene and we were *Goes into deep, booming voice* trying to out voice each other. (*Laughter from Mikey-san*) *Back to normal voice* That was so much fun. He's a great friend and we get cast opposite of each other a lot. In fact there is a new series, which I can't talk about, that we are brother and sister.

MS: Oooh.

SY: Yeah. I'm excited about that! 

MS: Okay. So, I am going to go though some random questions.

SY: Okay.

MS: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

SY: I'm just surprised that you said it! *Laughter*

MS: I have had a lot of practice.

*Laughter*

SY: Very well done tongue teaser there. Oh...I don't know, a couple of barrels.

*Laughter*

MS: A couple of barrels. Whats your favorite color?

SY: Red.

MS: Red. Okay.

SY: Now this is me right? (MS: Yes.) It's red. Although purple is definitely right next to it.

MS: Okay. Whats your least favorite color?

SY: Aww...I don't know. I don't have a least. I...I'm not a big yellow person.

MS: Not that many people don't like yellow.

SY: Really!

MS: I spoke with Monica Re- Not Monica *Snaps fingers several times* Leah Clark! *Snaps fingers* Leah Clark and she didn't like yellow either. She hated the pastel colors. She hate the soft yellow colors.

SY: Any pastel, soft colors. *Laughter*

MS: Yeah. I going, "Wow." I think...

SY: How funny.

MS: I know there are a few others that I spoke to that didn't like yellow either.

SY: *Laughter* Thats funny. I don't like yellow.

MS: Okay! Who are you thankful to for being where you are today?

SY: Oh gosh. Umm...I can honestly say my husband definitely. David has been a very big proponent of mine in just the creative field. In just pursuing music and art and acting. So when you are married to someone, it is good for them to be supportive of what you are doing.  It’s great that he is in the creative field too…so he understands. So that is my immediate. In the anime world...gosh, there so many people. I mean Laura Bailey cast me in my very first anime show, Gunslinger Girl. So I'm thankful for that. Chris Sabat cast me in my first video game. So all these people, all the directors I worked with-

*Takes a moment to say bye to friends who helped with the concert and watching their dog. Talks to AKon Guest Relation person*

Mikey's Notes: Props to Stephanie's Guest Relation Handler for working so hard that weekend. This girl has been up since 2 am and I hope she enjoy watching this interview as much as I did. Thanks for your patience and hard work.


MS: *After brief break* Do you want to move on to the next question or do you want to keep going?

SY: Oh what, wait, what was that question? Oh people!

MS: Inspiration.

SY: Gosh! So many inspirations! Colleen is a dear dear friend of mine and I learned so much working with her. She directed me in Moon Phase and she was just wonderful. And another inspiration would be my mother. My mother a singer, a performer. She always encouraged being involved in the arts…you know you start there as a child and it's great that you have a parent that is supportive. I'm so thankful because I have a lot of friends who are artists whose parents did not support them…that is such a struggle for them inside. Some could break away when they were younger and do it anyway…others…they had to wait until later in life. So I'm thankful that I had a mom and dad that were supportive of pursuing this crazy field.

MS: *Light laughter* Yeah, because you didn't went into this field first thing. I heard- I remember being at a panel with you- I remember being at a panel and you were there about two years ago I think at AnimeMatsuri.

SY: Oh yeah! I love AnimeMatsuri!

MS: When you first got the gig as Robin and you mention that you were just there doing commercials and then you just stepped into this whole voice acting thing.

SY: Well it’s because of Laura Bailey. We were with the same agent.  I didn't know much about anime, and she was talking about FUNImation and I was thinking, "Whats, what is going on with FUNImation?" And then I started getting online and going, *in a whisper* "I want to do that!"

MS: *Whisper* Yeah.

SY: *Still in whisper* "I really want to do this. How do I get involved?" *Back in normal voice* Laura brought me out to audition and that is how it started. So I am really thankful for her.

MS: Okay. So here one that is brand new. Let say you woke up one day-

SY: Okay.

MS: In any anime, what character do you want to be waking up as?

SY: OH! That such a good question! Somebody comes to mind that is probably not a very *Goes into a lower volume* good thing to say. (*Laughter from Mikey*) Because it could encourage drug use. And I am like, "NOOO!...OH NOOO!"

MS: Do you want (me) to make it easier for you?

SY: *In a softer, cry-like tone* Yeah.

MS: A character that you played.

SY: *Back to normal* Okay. Okay, a character that I played.  If I was a guy I would like to be Hellsing. And I like Crispin Freeman. He is awesome…I’ve had that question before…if I could be another voice. I would be him.  Of course, Robin is great. She’s got a lot of wonderful friends. Clare has to struggle too much, so no way. (*laughter from Mikey*) There is a new character right now that I love, can't talk about her. Umm...Arachne has too many issues on Soul Eater. She has a drinking problem.

MS: Oh yes.

SY: You know who I love? B.B. Mozarella in Glass Fleet.

MS: Ahh.

SY: She wears these amazing couture gowns and she has her own ship and these fabulous hats and she lays around and it looks like she smoking...let say a hookah.

*Laughter*

SY: And she just lays around and tells everybody what to do and rules the galaxy and-

MS: You just want to be served don't you? *Laughter*

SY: OH...YOU RIGHT! (*Laughter from Mikey*) Totally decadent! You know… just call all the shots. I was so taken with her. And you know, in Glass Fleet she wasn't the biggest part in that show, but I just loved her! And how she was designed!

MS: Mmm...Okay. What is the most awkward moment you have ever been part of?

SY: Probably one of the first shows because I was new. Right…I was new and I was a little shocked at some of the material on Desert Punk. There is a scene where Robin is trapped in this house and Punk is watching…in the ventilation system…and we hear him. That was a little...awkward.

MS: Okay.

SY: That was a character moment that I just thought, *in cry-like tone* "I'm so embarrassed. What happening right now?"

MS: You just got into it and then it is, "What going on? She didn't mention this to me before in our talks."

SY: *Back to normal tone* I know. What have I gotten into! Oh dear. But fortunately I was working with Zach Bolton. He is a wonderful director. He's fun, he's funny, he put me at ease. I mean, he could tell that I was a little up tight. He was like, "Just relax." 

MS: What are you looking forward to in One Piece in general?

SY: Recording again.

MS: Recording again? *Laughter*

SY: *Laughter* Working on it again! *Laughter* And I think we will be.

MS: Yeah because I been hearing rumors that they are working on, I am not sure if they are scripting or whatever, but they are working on-

SY: The show is still going.

MS: Yeah the show is still going but I been hearing rumors that the next season after the Skypeia one is being worked on. I am not sure if it is true or not.

SY: I miss working on the show. I miss Robin. We become attached to our characters.

MS: OH! You going to be- Oh, I am not sure if you want- You know what happens next don't you?

SY: Do you know what I do? I never read ahead. I never read ahead in the manga. I don't want to know. Don't give me a spoiler.

MS: I won't say-

SY: I don't want to know when I die! I don't ever want to know!

MS: I just say- Can I give you a clue?

SY: Yes.

MS: It's going to be Robin centered.

SY: OH!

MS: I mean. It going to-

SY: I'm going to die aren't I?

MS: You not going to die! You not going to die!

*Laughter*

MS: You not going to die!

SY: I love her! I don't want to die!

MS: It going to be...well okay. There going to be a few filler episodes and there is a small little arc but after you get past that.

SY: A-ha

MS: I want to say thirteen or...twenty-six tops episodes after the Skypeia arc. It will be really Robin centered.

SY: Really! Well that will be wonderful.

MS: Yes.

SY: Well let me tell you why I do this. Obviously I care about the show. It’s not that I don't care. Unless there is some back history that I need to know…I do that type of research or the directors will tell you but I like being surprised and I think that your reads are better sometimes if you don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s not like you can't imagine it, but I think your reads are better when you don't necessarily know what’s going to happen. You live in the moment with your character.

MS: I understand. I understand cause I don't- Remember, I blog about One Piece and I do recaps of the whole episodes going on and I literally avoid any forums where they talk about that episode because I don't want their thoughts be entering, going though me and going "Yeah, that person is right."

SY: That’s good discipline. I think that is very smart discipline. I agree with you. As actors, we’re constantly trying to create that moment, that first moment, and even though you do it a couple of times or ten times, you know, you want it to be fresh. Honestly, I don't know. I know that I miss it and I want to record it again and I miss being on the boat with everybody and watching them be crazy and silly. And you know what? What other show has banana gators?

MS: Yeah. *Laughter* Exactly! Banana Gators!

SY: I ask you. I LOVE the banana gators from the Crocodile story!

MS: Yeah. "Why is the banana-" "Why does the bananas has alligators growing out of them?"

*Laughter*

SY: In that shape you know? *Laughter* I just love this show! It nutty!

MS: It so wacky and crazy. I mean I cosplay characters that I like but I just got a blast out of cosplaying Luffy.

SY: Oh gosh!

MS: I mean Luffy was my first cosplay and it never gets old!

SY: I know! And Colleen is amazing as Luffy! I don't know how she does it.

MS: Oh yeah. I heard tales. I remember during the first commentary for the first DVD set. She was like saying how *In Luffy impression voice* "I got to go like this!"

SY: Yeah. I said (to her), "I don't even know how you do that. That isn't like you at all." It's amazing. Yeah. It's incredible work. And Brina too as Chopper. I just- How amazing is she.

MS: Where does she get this cuteness from?

SY: AHLALALALALALA~! And Brina, you know, is so cool. I love her.

MS: Okay, so I guess we got to hurry up with this. What you want to say to all the One Piece fans-

SY: Thank you for being so supportive! Whenever I go to conventions and I meet One Piece fans, they are so positive and it means so much to us, it means so much to me, that they like what we are doing. Again, like I said, coming off of old episodes that had to be rerecorded. That is a tough position to move into and you want to honor the story and the artist and the fans and do a good job. And it has been so exciting to meet people…so thank you for watching.
This was a very fun interview and I hope that you guys were able to see how much excitement and fun we both had during this interview. I tried my best to transcribe these feeling and hope that you all could feel them though the words in this interview. The fun didn't end there since we discussed other things as in the idea of her cosplaying Robin in the future. She gave a similar response to the one that she gave at AnimeMatsuri two years ago but she did seem up for it along with other cosplays and dresses in the future. haha

Once again, I really hope you guys enjoyed this interview. You can catch Stephanie Young as Robin throughout the One Piece Season Two set and then as a StrawHat starting in Season Two,

1 comment:

  1. hi umm this is kinda wierd and got nothing to do with this episode but who would win in a fight one of he cp9 or mihawk and could you inbox me the answer to luke chery on facebook please :D

    ReplyDelete