Sunday, August 28, 2011

Anime: Post Marineford Arc- Episode 510

This was my expression when I learned I had to do another episode with Sanji on Kamabakka Island. We share our feelings at OnePieceOfficial.com.

First Thoughts
I was a bit unsure at first, after all, I had a pretty tough week last week and so I had to skip episode 509 and go straight to this one, but I still think it turned out okay. No, the only real problem I had with this episode is only very personal. Every time, it seems, that Sanji’s adventures on the island of the Okamas is shown, I get stuck working that episode. Why, cruel fate, must ye plague me so with the utmost tortures of heck? On the other hand, at least the extreme cuteness of the giant fluffy chicks (and Chopper too) got me through, haha! I did greatly enjoy the surprise of Robin’s part showing up. I missed last week’s episode, so I didn’t know Robin was going to be in this episode. That was really great; I love doing Robin’s part! The episode turned out really excellently, I feel, and I really enjoyed watching every part of it (well, maybe besides the pink island, but only a little~).
Summary
Luffy sneaks through the Gates of Justice with Rayleigh and Jinbei on board a captured Marine ship on a secret mission to Marineford.
Chopper heads off of Birdie Kingdom in good spirits after resolving the conflicting humans and birds. While riding on one of the birds back, he receives a copy of the newspaper and discovers a shocking fact about Luffy’s recent actions.
On the newly freed Tequila Wolf, Robin too receives a quick ride to the Archipelago via the Revolutionary Army. Shortly after saying farewell to Soran, the Revolutionaries reveal to Robin that their boss, Dragon, has been searching for the Demon of Ohara for the past 10 years. Dragon’s command to the Revolutionaries had been to secure the safety of the last remnant of the nation which fought against the world. Declining to return with them to meet Dragon, the men offer to at least give the archeologist a ride to Sabaody, which she accepts eagerly. While riding in a carriage to the end of the bridge, Robin is given a newspaper with the recent actions of Luffy as the headlines. Although initially surprised, she seems to accept it and then finds what Luffy has done to be amusing.
Shocked back into his old self by the news of Marineford, Sanji once again is attempting to escape Kamabakka Kingdom, but his escape efforts go awry when the “Queen” returns to his kingdom. After being shocked by Ivankov’s female form, Sanji struggles to get the Queen to give him a ship off of the island, tell him about the battle at Marineford, or give information as to where Luffy is. After being soundly defeated in a battle against the Queen, Ivankov decides to tell Sanji about Strawhat, and Sanji is able to read about Luffy’ s latest stunt at the battle site.
Ivankov contacts Dragon to be updated on the latest in the Revolutionaries movements and to help plan what their next move will be, now that Whitebeard has fallen. Dragon relays messages and info to the newly released Ivankov, and they plan to meet to discuss the new world order. Ivankov has some questions of his own, including the true story about Kuma’s betrayal to the Revolutionaries cause. The headline picture of Luffy at his return to Marineford is shown at the very end, his hat held close to his chest in a salute to the fallen at the Battle of Marineford.
Thoughts
Return to Marineford: Secret Mission?
Why, fate, why? I think it has only to do with my status as a female, and so fate is torturing me by making me struggle through Sanji’s own torture. The poor dear…the episode is titled “A Disaster for Sanji” after all. I just hope Ivankov doesn’t turn him into a woman…dang, that would suck for all those Sanji fangirls in the world. Haha, even though Odacchi has already shown everybody what each Strawhat would look like if they were the opposite gender, still it is funny that Ivankov actually can do that.
This does bring about an interesting point however. Should Ivankov relay the events of Marineford to Sanji (obviously he will tell Sanji about Luffy), then both of the two strongest fighters on Luffy’s crew will know the full story of what happened to him. Mihawk…well, I trust him to be honorable. I like him for that trait, and trust him for it. Ivankov of course ought to, in theory, tell Sanji about the event. This will mean that both Zoro and Sanji will have firsthand accounts of the events at Marineford, something I would find (as a historian) extremely useful, and valuable. No hearsay from newspapers or the Marines. How exciting~
Hm…it sounds like Luffy, Jimbei, and Rayleigh are busting into Marineford for a secret mission. Exciting. Haha, I can tell because that Marine’s voice is all wobbly. Oh, nice guys. Well, sounds fun. Hehehe. I do know what they are planning, if only because of the spoiler I have. Oh well, it will be fun to see it play out.
Chopper and the Fluffy Birdies: YAY!
Fluffy~
Well, this is fun. Finally an island where the folks actually are letting the crew member leave, or said person actually has the ability to leave. That is a first to me. I only hope it stays this way for a bit…
 Oh my gosh. Is that…COTTON CANDY!? Holy beep. The Cheeper is even More adorable now. Yay~~

It is really adorable how he just stands there panicking about what he is going to do. All of the other folks are just standing there watching him freak out, sweat-dropping. Aww. Silly Chopper. Didn’t the Cheeper say he would give him a lift later?

Well, Chopper looks to be quite off to a good start now. He has a ride, it is fast, and nothing is really preventing him from getting to the Archipelago. And I agree, it is a lot like a roller coaster-
-and he fell off. Nice. Aww, he is imprinted in clouds! So fluffy~! Well, there is a news bird, so maybe he can read the paper…why do I have this feeling that this is going to get him turned around back to that island though…Oh man Chopper, that is a nice freak out! But what has gotten him so riled up…? What the heck has Luffy done this time that he is just now learning?
Revolutionaries in the Snow: Robin’s Choice
Woah…wait a second. I did not know that Robin’s section was in this episode! This is awesome! I love Robin’s section! It is so important…I am especially interested in her opinion of Luffy’s actions…
I really like doing Robin’s part for three reasons:
One: It is Robin. She is very awesome.
Two: Revolutionary Army! Gotta love those guys.
Three: SNOW~
However, I always take note of the sad, slow music which accompanies the snow each time Tequila Wolf comes up. It is a really laid-back, but sad, melody. It suits Robin very well.

Okay. This is a seriously Freaking Long bridge. I really hate whoever was in command of this bridge building. They are a Loser. Of course…now Robin gets to have fun riding back to the beginning of the bridge…I am rather curious as to which island the bridge begins on…
Oh wow! So, the Revolutionaries have been searching for Robin for 10 years? Wow…well, that is a curious twist of fate indeed. It is really unfortunate that Robin could not have found them sometime in the past 10 years…it might have helped her out a lot with her loneliness. Still, it turned out well in the end, and if she ever needs a place to hang for a while…well, haha, she can always hang out with the best anti-government movement ever!
Oh! Rinos! I love them so much~
Ghost towns…huh. Well, I would imagine that as the workers moved on, they would have to build new warehouses and sleeping quarters to hold the workers, so there would be tons of old areas that were just abandoned as the progress continued. Still…it seems this whole area of Tequila Wolf holds little other than sad memories…
Oh my gods…how long have they been working on this awful bridge? 700 years…dang, that is atrocious. Ever since the World Government was formed? That is aweful…
But, now we can see Robin’s reaction to what Luffy has done. This should be a more realistic reaction than Chopper’s, at least. Ah, okay. There, that was a good sign. If Robin isn’t worried, then neither am I.
Oh! The first really happy music of Tequila Wolf! That is really nice sounding…peaceful, and fully of joy…
Poor Sanji…Trouble in the Kingdom of Okamas
I must admit right now why I have such irritation (and really it is just comical annoyance with the Peachy Islands) with Sanji’s sections on this island. This past Spring at SakuraCon…a Sanji cosplayer did an improve skit with me and went all Sanji-sees-an-attractive-female on me. They got down on their knees and tried to “win my heart”. It was very romantic, and hilarious. My friend thought so, because she took pictures. It was really funny, until I remembered what island Sanji had landed on. Gods…after having such an hilarious experience with a Sanji, I can definitely have tons of pity for the real Sanji…oh Sanji…
Poor, poor Sanji…oh, this is Not going to be fun to watch…so much…PINK…oh gods, so much PINK! Gods…I am getting sick to my stomach already…gods…
Love this Expression. Thank you, Sanji.
Sanji is expecially expressive today, now that he is himself again, and no longer believes he is a lady~
She? No no, Sanji, Ivankov is well…erm, More man than woman, I suppose…but, this would be ruined if Ivankov got off of the ship looking like-

Oh gods. He didn’t. (looks through eyelids) He did. Ivankov decided to be a woman today.
Well, this is a hilarious, if not totally unexpected, change in story. Lovely. Ha, at least he can keep his wits about him for a little bit and remember that Ivankov is an okama as well. Good for Sanji.
Hey! I think that is Inazuma as a woman behind Ivankov. You don’t see him looking like that a lot. They must have been feeling womanly that day~
Oh Sanji…he is totally going to die from blood loss, isn’t he? Is this the true reason men die earlier than women? Deep, philosophical questions.

Hm…I just like this picture because it is funny to see Ivankov with (kind of) realistic body proportions compared to Sanji. I will never be able to get over how tall some of these folks in One Piece are. Like Doflamingo~ Do they take vitamins? If I took more vitamins, would I be tall like them!?
Ha. He did know it was coming, but he couldn’t resist, the lover boy~ I also Love this line. Sanji has the best expressions today, doesn’t he?
 OH! So hateful towards Zoro today. Awesome~ hahaha~ And the usual Nami expression.

Oh my gods, this is great. He actually has to admit that the guy in the poster is him, or else Iva won’t believe him. Hahahahaha! That is classic! Poor Sanji, it is a disaster. Oh my gosh, it is so impossibly hard, he is coughing up blood.
Oh, this is totally epic. Too epic to describe well in good detail. Such greatness of this battle of words. And…Sanji is a “manly man”. Awesome~
What has he done to my Sanji!? Oh Sanji…! Oooh, Sanji…you don’t look so good…

This episode is complete. I got to hear Inazuma talk more as a chick, and Dragon is in it. I freaking Love Dragon~! Wait…yes, yes! This is fabulous! I want to hear all of these things to, Dragon! What does he expect for the new world order now that Whitebeard is gone? Who are these commanders, and do I know any of them? What happened exactly to Kuma!?
Oh my goodness: such a serious face. Yup, Dragon is so serious…

I think this is my favorite screenpic taken of the whole episode (and there were a ton of great ones).

It looks like Luffy’s secret mission with Rayleigh and Jinbei was…to pay his respects to his brother, Whitebeard, and the other pirates lost at the Battle of Marineford. Wow…so that is what everyone has been shocked at! That is…really nice. I like that. Good for Luffy. A bit wild, yes, but still, it was a necessary thing to do.
Preview
Late Post, no need


Okay, that is all for today, even with the delay. Come back soon for the next few installments of OnePieceAtATime Blog as we follow the grand adventure that is One Piece!

Written by: Sora

5 comments:

  1. Yay! After this episode, we'll be done with all the Straw Hat reactions and actually be able to get on with the plot.

    Pacing: One Piece's Achilles Heel.

    With that being said, Sanji has been a riot every one of his episodes on Okama country. I may be alone here but I'm actually going to miss Sanji in drag, because, as much as he'll never admit it, he pulled it off pretty well. I really can't see any other dude on the crew that could become more in touch with their feminine side as we saw Sanji previously.

    I also like how the main conflict of Sanji's arc, similar to Nami seems to be completely self-inflicted. He's not having to wart off war mongering monkeys or man eating plants or robot guard dogs or giant birds feuding with natives or atheist two-jointed arm bandits or totalitarian slave oppressors, not any of that. It's just cross dressers, who are only a threat to him because of his own personal phobia against them.

    Both Chopper and Robin already had the main comflicts in each of their islands fixed up in their previous episodes, so not a whole lot interesting there, though I still have this irking feeling that the young revolutionary talking to Robin with the curly hair and hat with a blue feather in it has a slight possibility of being a grown up Sabo.

    In all honesty, Robin's time with the revolutionaries is probably the arc of all eight straw hats I'm most curious to learn more about. I actually do hope she takes the opportunity to meet Dragon. In time, Robin has grown to be almost like a mother figure to the crew., (But like a really cool mother where there is no animosity) so it would make sense that she would want to meet her captain's father herself.

    Thought occurred to me just now. Is one of the reasons the Revolutionaries have been looking for Robin for some time is because they might have access, or at least know the location, to another Ponegliff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Gus
    I never thought of it like that before considering that Sanji and Nami's predicament being self inflected. The rest of the crew found themselves in situations that were happening while both Nami and Sanji could have just have walked away from it all very easily. It makes sense now that you mention it. You bring up many good points and it really helps get into the mind of Oda.

    Also yes, I too will miss Sanji in drag. That would have added an interesting ingredient in the crew dynamic. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sora, please communicate with me before you decide to post your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Gus
    Hm, I feel like responding today. Exciting~

    One Piece's Achilles Heel may be slow pacing (you came up with a beautiful analogy for it), but it will always be better than an overload of filler arcs. That is why we love it.

    Sanji has much to gain by opening up to his "womanly side". After all, being a self-proclaimed ladies' man requires him to interact with women much more often than the other crew members, minus the girls themselves. Although technically this is just a really a bunch of dudes dressed up as chicks, Sanji may learn an even deeper appreciation for girls after this little fiasco is over. After that has been said, I only have one more thing to say on the subject: Pink is So not Sanji's color~

    It is true that Sanji's problem is relatively self-afflicted, but he has had this coming for a long time. You could tell when the crew met Mr. 2 for the first time. Fate to hate~

    After much consideration as to your idea about Sabo, I really have to admit that I am stumped at this point in time. There is too much evidence suggesting that he is (totally~) alive, but I am just not sure that Oda-sama would want to put such a vague intro to Sabo's return at the beginning cover like that. I would imagine he would be more careful about that, were it true. But, I cannot vouch for the animator's choices, since they are the animators and things change. It could be him, or it may not be. I am just sure of the fact that he Is alive, and in the Revolutionary forces.

    I want Robin to meet Dragon too~

    ! Ponegliff! That is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that one. Of course, she wouldn't like the idea of being used to read a Ponegliff, now would she? Remember Crocodile~? I really like this theory now though, so thank you.

    Such long comments, and insightful ones at that! It is so nice to hear the reception of each Post back from readers like you.
    Gus, I think I like you~

    *I WILL NOT MISS SANJI IN DRAG. NEVER~~ XO

    ReplyDelete