Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Manga: No New Chapter + KND/One Piece Fanart

No Chapter? No Problem! Pick up One Piece volumes from Viz to read the adventure!

Out of respect for the Obon Festival in Japan, there will be no Weekly Shonen Jump which means no new One Piece chapter. Obon is a three day holiday to honor the departed spirits of dead relatives. Many at this time in Japan celebrate the holiday by holding a family reunion and performing rituals that are part of this festival which include cleaning the graves of dead loved ones.

So to help you with your lack of One Piece this week, I thought I would share this little gem that I found in the September edition of Shonen Jump magazine. Apparently One Piece fans can be anybody including famous cartoonists. Check after the break for the full scanned version of this cool fanart.



Click to see bigger version!

Showcased in this month's Shonen Jump was a piece of fan art by Tom Warburton who is well known for being the creator of Codename: Kids Next Door. The cartoon had a six season run on Cartoon Network including a TV movie and many special episodes. Almost a year ago, Mr. Warburton drew an interesting One Piece fanart featuring his art style from KND. Each character was dressed similar to some of our favorite Straw Hats. Below I list their names in case you need a little help identifying them.

Numbuh One- Sanji (Dressed in a suit and in a cool Sanji-esqe pose.)
Numbuh Two- Usopp (Using a slingshot, Usopp's signature weapon.)
Numbuh Three- Robin (Wearing Robin's famous white hat.)
Numbuh Four- Luffy (In one of Luffy's famous battle poses and dressed in Luffy's clothing.)
Numbuh Five- Zoro (Holding three swords just like Zoro does.)


This was surely a surprise to see while I was thumbing through this month's Shonen Jump after reading the One Piece chapters featured in it. I noticed the characters and at first figured that Cartoon Network was advertising a new video game featuring the finished cartoon series. Strange, noting that the series hasn't aired in ages.  So I decided to take a further look at the image. Then I noticed Numbuh Five holding three swords and Numbuh Four dressed like Luffy. After a close inspection I realized that this was a One Piece fan art drawn by the creator of one of my favorite cartoons.




Apparently Mr. Warburton is a huge One Piece fan due to the fact that not only has he drawn this awesome piece of art but he even mentioned it a few times on his personal blog. The guy was literally gushing over the series when he heard about the One Piece Speed Up that happened last year. It is very cool to learn that such a famous and creative mind is a One Piece fan. The art work reflects the personalities of his characters, and at the same time displays how their characteristics resemble those of One Piece characters. Numbuh Two is much like Usopp due to both characters having a love for gadgets, while both Numbuh One and Sanji give off a cool vibe. If only there was a red head for a Nami....haha

Out of respect to Mr. Warburton, I will not include the actual image of his art work in this post. Instead I will invite you to head over to Mr. Warburton's blog to look at his original post. The image looks awesome and I suggest you pick up September's Shonen Jump just for this fanart.

4 comments:

  1. I never knew Mr Warburton was a One Piece fan, thats so cool! I loved Pepper Ann in particular when I was younger :3

    By the way, there is a redhead called Numbuh 86 and shes scottish so....yeah. Scottish Nami, wrap your head around that XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking went crazy when I saw this fanart in the Shonen jump issue. I was so happy, I loved KND and seeing that Warburton is a fan one piece was awesome not only cause I love his shows but also because it shows me, a soon to be involved in the animation industry student, that you can love anime and make American cartoons. ^_^

    Also @superneku Numbuh 86 is freaking perfect for Nami LOL XD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SuperNeku
    Mind....blown.......

    I totally forgot her for a reason.....How could I have forgotten about Numbuh 86.....Oh well.....Best not to include her here. haha

    @StrawHatPirate9
    Yeah. It was a sweet piece of art. A real surprise.

    Good luck in your studies in animation. Hopefully you can draw inspiration in anime to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ask and ye shall recieve:

    http://warburtonlabs.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-piece-at-time.html

    thanks so much for all the sooper kind words!

    numbuh eleventy billion (decommissioned)
    aka mr. warburton

    ReplyDelete