Monday, April 2, 2012

April Fools: 2012


I hope you all enjoyed our little April Fool’s Day prank. It was a little something that I had in my mind for the longest time that I thought was clever and funny.

In case you are not familiar with SOVA, I tried to explain it in this  article. I had always found it strange that when 4Kids lost the rights to dub Pokemon that the fans were up in arms, while One Piece didn't get any sort of fan reaction. I can understand why: the dub wasn't beloved like Pokemon’s. However, several of the voice actors from Pokemon were working on One Piece. You would think that they would be upset to hear that once again their favorite voice actors had lost another role.
With the five year anniversary of the Funimation dub coming up, I figured that this year would be the perfect year to do this prank. It would serve as a reminder that five years ago, the One Piece dub was infamous for having 'colorful' voices. Also, it would be funny to make people think that there were diehard One Piece fans who would want to have the old voices, accents and all, back in the dub as shown in this article.

I was inspired to take action upon seeing Adult Swim's Toonami prank. I have to give a big thanks to Tsukento and PassionTentacle for their involvement in this prank. I couldn't have done this without their help because of how last minute the prank was. They both captured the spirit of this prank as seen in one of our SOVA articles.

Happy Beloved April Fools!

5 comments: