Sunday, January 10, 2010

One Piece More: Shonen Jump Into the Manga!


Well I was hoping that my first post of the year would be of something like the anime of manga but really there isn't much in the One Piece world right now concerning the anime and manga. Well that last part is a lie. There is plenty happening in the manga side which is where this post is mostly going to focus. I'll go into other things but really I let you guys read on.

Also if you haven't found out. There is no new One Piece chapter this week from Japan. Weekly Jump is still on break this week so that means Oda, Luffy and the rest of the One Piece crew will be resting up and relaxing. So we will have to wait to see what happen to the rest of our favorite band of pirates and Marines.

Then the anime is back on starting today starting off right where it stopped two weeks ago. Just got done watching it before this post and it was a great episode! Expect an anime post to be up later.


One Piece Manga (Shonen Jump):  Chapters 529-532
This was going to be it's own post but really I am just too lazy right now. haha. So I am just going to add it in here and be happy that I got my scanner to work with me while also finding a much easier way to interact with it. haha

So if anybody is just following the anime then happen to pick up this month's Shonen Jump because you just love One Piece that much that you want to support (hint hint) the cool thing that Shonen Jump is doing with skipping all the way to Impel Down. Then you would know that the chapters here basically covered what we been seeing for the last three weeks in the anime. Not much since you all seen this stuff right?

WRONG!

It is so awesome to see that stuff in print paper. I mean you do skip some of the filler scenes that you get in the anime which I don't care. Still just seeing this stuff happen again in the magazine just felt so cool. I knew what was happening during the whole time but really it felt brand new to me. This was my first time reading these chapters in paper format of any sort but it just felt so nice to see them. Each scene felt as if it had a much more impact.. I found myself reading out loud with what was being said without even realizing it. These chapters are just that good.

Just take this awesome scene here.

 I wasn't going to use this scene for this but the scene I wanted use was spoilerish for anime-only fans

Look familiar? Remember this? Well it felt just as great as it was in the anime. Seeing Luffy and Bon Clay teaming up here was just awesome. It helped that it was fresh in my mind still but also just funny as it lead up here just like in the anime.

Of course you get some of this too.

Edits. Shonen Jump has to watch out since little kids read this too and nobody like angry mommas (hey, my little brother was thumbing and reading though some of the other non-One Piece stuff and he is only eight). Nobody likes angry mommas. If you can find the edit then good for you. If you can't then oh well. It doesn't matter anyways since it doesn't really change anything with the story. Just some added clothes.

Still I love how they handle Sadi-Chan/Miss Sadi. Both things with her wanting her name to sound cute came over into the Viz translation and was just funny. I was surprise they kept the "Mmmm!" in there since I found it kind of stange. Still it was just funny to hear the random "Mmmmm!" as she spoke. haha

Still there is one thing that One Piece in Shonen Jump does is that it takes you a bit father then the anime is at this moment of typing this post which is cover what is going to happen in the next episode. I don't want to reveal any spoilers here since I even went with using a different image as planned. Still let just say that this week's episode* is going to be awesome! Purely a rush from the beginning to end. To tell the truth I am thinking that what happens in Chapter 532 should be broken into two episodes but if they can fit it into one then that be cool too. Chapter 532 was nicely wrapped awesome coated in a nice layer of coolness. It really impressed me and is making me excited to see it this week. If Shonen Jump can give us these little previews of future anime episodes like this then I think they may find themselves a new reader.

*I typed up this part of the post the day before the new episode premiered on Saturday.

Still this was a good issue. Got a little bit of One Piece on the front cover. Some good chapters. Awesome action. What more can you expect from the best manga series in the action pack manga magazine Shonen Jump.

(By the way, I am not being paid by Viz nor Shonen Jump to say this nor did I get this month's for free. haha)


One Piece Manga SPEED UP! (Part 1)
So this week marks the start of Viz's six month campaign of releasing five One Piece volumes a month or as I am going to call it. ONE PIECE MANGA SPEED UP!

I have to admit. Before this, I have never own a page of the One Piece manga. I mean I read it though Shonen Jump but really I never own a One Piece volume. Still as a One Piece fan I felt that I had to support this and buy as many of these Speed Up volumes that I can. Turns out that I got all five of them and going to cry as I read each one. haha

Still boy was it long road to get these suckers! The bookstore (Books A Million) I pass up on my way to uni doesn't get new inventory till Thursday which was when these guys got on the shelf. So starting on Tuesday (Before I was told the whole inventory stuff) I made my way though the cold winds and running after buses just to go there only to find out they weren't there and then being told on Wednesday that they won't have them until Thursday maybe. Still it was all worth it as I went there the next day and held them in my hands. Boy did I came at the right time too because as I walked out, I looked though the window to see an employee with a cart of manga putting up the new stock on the shelf! SWEET! I got them right out from the box! haha

So far I have read three of the five volumes and I am enjoying them. I thought it would be kind of boring since I seen these chapters animated though the anime but these stories really do pass the test of time! I was amazed when I saw that Luffy just slammed Bellamy down to the ground. Reading word for word the lines as Ganfall explained pirates to Conis. Laughed as I read Oda's responses to the SBS questions. Fifty bucks spent well and worth it!

Funimation 2010 Anime Roll-out Riot
Also happening this past week was Funimation 2010 Anime Roll-out Riot where Funimation announced different titles that they got their hands on. Did they cause a riot too and not in a good way. Seems like Funimation got their hands on a lot of different things but nothing worth throwing a party about. How about I just list what they annouce per day.

Day 1- 15 Kong Connection flims
Day 2- Kamui and RoboGeisha live actions
Day 3- FLCL
Day 4- Master of Martial Hearts and Hero Tales
Day 5- Axis Powers Hetalia and The Sacred Blacksmith

Not sure who here were excited by this roll out of stuff but I am not feeling excited about these titles. I am excited that Hetalia is going to be coming to the US since I am a fan of this series and my friend was very happy to when I told her this. So I can see us buying this and coming together to watch all 52 five minute episodes and also maybe it would push me to finish the series. Also something that I just thought of right now is Funimation can also start a simulcast for Hetalia in March when the third season of the series starts. Currently the second season is going to end soon according to my friend but there is always time for Funi to announce that they will be streaming the third season. So maybe that can be done in the future. I will watching it.

The rest of the stuff I am not feeling for it. Of course I am happy to see that new anime fans can finally see the confusion (and humor) in FLCL since it isn't shown often anymore on Adult Swim and old fans can now buy the series due to Funi getting the rights to it from the old company. Though the live action stuff is a real curve ball. It just came out of nowhere and doesn't seem like something Funi would do since well...it isn't anime. Martial Hearts and Hero Tales I never heard of but can't really care for it. I can see Funi trying to sell it as "From the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist, we bring..." bit to get FMA fans to buy the series so maybe that will work. As for Martial Hearts...Well....Just look at the teaser site. As you can see it has a draw to it that is making a certain side of me interested. I am just hoping that Funi will stream this on their site so I can at least watch the first or all of five episode series so I don't waste money on something I won't like and end up with just a show about girls with big boobs. The Sacred Blacksmith.....I seen the first episode of the series before and it sucks. I hated it and I am so not going to even think about buying this series. No idea what Funi was thinking when getting this show but oh well. Somebody has to like it.

Overall to me it feels like Funi hyped up this whole Anime Roll-out Riot to get people all excited about shows that nobody would bother to pay attention to if they annouce them by themselves on regular days. Personally I was hoping for some One Piece news as in Movie 10: Strong World stuff. Though if they just announce them as regular then I would have raised an eyebrow at FLCL and be happy for Hetalia but really....Hurray for the others. I mean I am hoping that Funi isn't going for the route that ADV did by licensing any anime that is out there and are just getting stuff people are wanting. Right? I mean there has to be a big enough audience out there that will want to get these series. That is what I am hoping. Still congrats to Funi for this ploy to get people excited for a bunch of small titles that somebody will be interested in and may you have bigger news for animes licenses later on in the year. K-on!? One Piece Movies? Shugo Chara!? Toradora? Dragonball Kai? Just to name a few (Hint hint).


One Piece Stuff I Own
This little thing I got from a friend of mines though a Secret Santa that we did this year for Christmas. Got to say it is nice and the thought what counts. She got this at the last con from a mystery bag and I guess she though I would like it. I like the figure and amaze that some vendor had something this old. I don't know what year it was made but I can tell it is back from the early days of the One Piece anime. I am a bit upset that the color on the box faded but oh well. A gift is a gift and I am glad that my first figure is a One Piece one.

I am not sure what I am going to do with it but for now I am just going to let it rest on top of my manga. haha


So that is all for this week! I hope all enjoyed their Christmas holidays. Those who are in school. Have fun!  Those who are like me and have one week left of their break before going back to the grind stone of college. Enjoy what is left and have fun buying your books! The anime and manga comes back so it should make school a bit more enjoyable. Expect the anime post in a day or two and may you all keep warm or cool depending on where in the world you are. Personally I am freezing my little toes so it is all good! (Not really.)

Been also watching some of the new anime that premiere this Winter like Durarara. That show is really good and if you have a Crunchyroll account then go out there and see it. My recommendation!

So keep warm (or cool) as I try to get some more time with Photoshop and some of the other things I have on my list to-do for Winter Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment