Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Anime: Post Marineford Arc- Episode 504



Just like Ace and Luffy have to deal with Garp beating some sense into them, so do I, in the form of my boss (coughcoughMikeycough), doing so to me on my late posts. Of course, mine is mentally ensued. Ace and Luffy…not so much. Only at OnePieceOfficial.com.
First Thoughts
Oh look, it is Sora with (fake gasp) another *Late* episode! Go figure. But hey, it IS a holiday weekend. Well, for us Americans, that is. Gotta love them federal holidays~ Hm, just noticed that there is very few screenpics tonight. Oh well, Mikey will make it up to you guys! (so I hear)
What a fantastic episode! It totally cheered me up from my depression of last episode with Sabo, because I thought of a fantastic idea~ Ha, take that, my friend told me a Wrong speculation on what happened to Sabo! Haha! Well, I am just really excited to see Ace and Luffy’s separate send-offs, and how they learned who they were. It was a really important, relatively canon episode from the looks of things. Exactly the way I like it. I loved seeing what Makino did for Ace; that was hysterical when I realized that! Of course, seeing that Luffy is always thinking of Ace and Sabo…well, it really brings you into the mysterious realm of the Mind of Luffy. It makes me re-think what he is thinking about all the time on the Sunny Go’s head. Huh. Overall, this is a definitely excellent final episode to the trio’s flashback arc, and I loved seeing every minute of it; especially the part which gave me a fabulous idea about what Really happens to a character~

Summary
Dragon’s ship of Revolutionaries is revealed to be docked in the bay of a particular island where a certain training dojo sits, and where a certain future swordsman trains, alongside his blue-haired friend. Boarding his magnificent ship, Dragon brushes off Ivankov’s complaints of Dragon being late, then of his mysterious appearance and reluctance to answer any further questions.
Dealing with the loss of their friend Sabo, Ace and Luffy vow to go out to sea when they each turn 17, for the sake of freedom. The image of Sabo burns brightly in their memories to inspire them to keep working toward their shared dreams. Luffy and Ace grow and learn the ways of the world, gaining physical and mental strength after pulling on the memory of their lost brother Sabo to guide them through their years in the forest.
After 7 years have passed, Ace takes his leave of the small “family”: his brother Luffy and the bandits in seclusion off the coast in the forest. Makino, the mayor, Dadan and her bandits, and Luffy are the only spectators. 3 years after his brother’s departure, Luffy has a more open departure from the village bay when the whole village sees him off, and right away watch in shock and surprise as his legendary voyage begins with his famous defeat of the local sea serpent.
Finally, with the new knowledge that both of his long-time brothers are always on his mind in some form, the flashback arc ends, with Luffy now dealing with the loss of this final brother. With both of his treasured brothers gone, Luffy is left in endless despair.
Thoughts
Somehow, I just have to say this episode was awesome. I don’t know why, I just do. There isn’t a ton to comment on this time around, just for time purposes, but what occurred here this episode was staggering in its own right. I actually would like to discuss what occurred at a few points with some other people, since I want to see if my theory has some base ground or if I am just giddy and delusional…
But, enough about me, more on the episode, right?
First off, I must say that I absolutely LOVE Dragon’s ship. Look, I even used all caps, I never do that. That is how much I LOVE his freakin’ awesome ship.
I really loved the part with Zoro’s dojo that he and Kuina trained at. It made me grin, because my (cough coughevilcough) friend who gives me spoilers and who reads all the manga questioned me about this scene when he got to this part. He just randomly mentioned, “oh yeah, and there was this random panel at this part of the volume when I read it…now that I think about it, it kinda looked like that young swordsman guy training…I don’t know.” I had the strong urge to face-palm, but I resisted because it was too awesome of info to concentrate on anything else. So yeah, I knew it was coming, but I just Loved how the anime portrayed it. It made me all tingly inside to see that it was just randomly canon. Go canon~
Ha! That little kid was talking about Ivankov’s giant face! So it is proven: I am Not the only person who thought it was weird/unusual! Huzzah!
Chibi Zoro-kun!
However, it is here where my inquiry begins. I do not know what everyone else was thinking at this part, but to me it was just screaming, “hey look! Dragon totally likes Sabo and freakin’ Saved him from burning and now the kid is safe on Dragon’s ship!” Please don’t tell me I am insane, please. Let me have my brief hope that the kid is alive. If so…then my money is so totally on him becoming the 9th crew member~
Ivankov makes such a big deal about his face…hahaha! I bet Baltigo must be the Rev. Army’s base; I love learning, especially when it is really random tidbits that later turn out to be awesome.
Well, as for that atrocity called Goa Kingdom…it looks like everything is just going to go on as normal. More trash will be dumped at the again-occupied Grey Terminal, and those who are dumped there as well continue to scrounge for a living as outcasts from society. How sad, that nothing has changed.
Ace and Luffy’s training…it is so normal again…it makes me happy to see them happy once more. Then…that odd sorrow of someone just…not being there one day. It is such an odd thing for me to watch, I really can’t explain it well. It was just so depressing for me, but in an odd sense that it wasn’t sad. Just…like there really was a piece missing.
They are, I suppose, handling the loss of their brother well. Well…better than Luffy is doing in the present, at least. Of course, in the present he doesn’t have another brother to console him as he did back then…and things are a Ton more complicated. Still, the brothers are showing definite signs of achieving the level they were on in present times. It is such a thrill to see them learn the skills and mannerisms they held in the present.
Haha! I just love the way they give notes to Dadan. It is adorable! Making their own ‘countries’ was funny to see, especially later on in the episode when they kept them for the entire length of their time with the bandits. I really liked it. Ace’s is all strong-looking and well built and Luffy’s is…well, not. Hahaha!
Of course, with all their ways of trying to adjust without Sabo, Ace needs to really focus on being the protective one now. As seen with Luffy and the bear, Ace can’t just be the stubborn hot-head he was in the past. He really does have to take on the role of the eldest brother, since Sabo was the one who always looked out for the both of them (but especially the younger Luffy). Sabo probably would have freaked out a lot before Ace did about the bear, which showed Ace how much he needs to learn in order to protect Luffy. It was a strange form of serious tension, seeing as the episode so far had been a lighter tension of them trying to adjust to their new lifestyle.
Oh. My. Gods. So This is where Ace learned to be all polite and stuff; Luffy too!? Gods! This is hysterical! Ace and Luffy might have learned manners and how to be polite, but Makino forgot to mention what other stuff is not good! Like, you know, eat-and-runs? Hahahahaha! This makes so much sense: like back in Arabasta…hahahahaha! This is great! I love this! This is fabulous!
Ah, and a training montage. Cool. A comment however: I have noticed that throughout the whole flashback arc that both Ace and Luffy have been training and fighting with those steel pipes. However, I have never, not once in the series (so I believe) have seen either boy fighting anyone with a sword or something. Both utilize their Devil Fruit powers practically singularly. So, this is very interesting to see them use tools instead. Of course, Ace doesn’t have his powers yet, and Luffy isn’t very talented at using them yet, so it is understandable. But still, it is just kinda odd to me that they never use anything in present time.
Each boys’ send-off was really cool to see. I’ll just squish them together, as they have relatively the same effect, minus a detail or two about who showed up for them. I liked how they each said goodbye to Dadan; it was really sweet. Cool to see her still alive and kicking too. Hahaha! But anyway, it is really good to see how things stood upon their farewell to the island. Good information to be aware of.
Aww! Dadan just breaks out sobbing comically when both Ace and Luffy are so sincere in their thank-you’s!! Awwww! It is awesome!
Hm. I just realized something when Luffy was training on the rock after Ace left. Hm…if Luffy hears Sabo and maybe Ace in his head…that might explain why he randomly has smart ideas (that aren’t instinct based) and ways of doing actions better or something. It might also explain how he figured out the Gears so quickly too…since Sabo was obviously the real stead-fast one of the trio, it makes sense.
One final point about my Sabo-is-still-alive theory. If he were still to be alive, he stands an even greater chance of joining with Luffy’s crew: 

A) The trio idea is out since Ace has died 

B) Sabo is much too mild mannered to be a captain of a crew 

C) His experiences on the seas might have changed him enough to conform and be with Luffy’s crew, also because they are brothers 

and 

D) He professed to want to write a book logging the adventures on the sea, which is a position I have thought often about on Luffy’s ship. Right now Robin is the historical person with facts about the past and each island, and Nami keeps the log records for each island. So…in theory, mind you, a person could totally take over the recording of events. Said person could get along well with both of the females too, and it all seems to work out decently enough…but, enough of this tangent for now. Back to the story.
Hm, I really like the end of the episode, going back to the beginning and then finally ending where we left off: at Luffy’s shattered heart and soul. It was a well-rounded ending. My final words on it are probably that I do feel like Sabo is the patient, steady oldest brother; Ace was the middle, stubborn, rash, and hot-headed middle brother who had to take over the responsibilities of the elder brother, and Luffy is undoubtedly the youngest brother. Yes, it all works out just as intended.
The very, very final words Luffy spoke, however…are extremely shocking. I have never heard him admit that he was too weak before. It is final proof of how far he has come to finally realize that his world cannot be viewed in this child-like fantasy where he can save everybody. It is really sad, extremely so in any person who has to suddenly grow up after a certain event. The saddest form of your life is the loss of your childhood, your innocence.
Preview
None again.


Thanks to one and all who came out to see this episode, and who will continue to do so well into the future, and stay with us here at OnePieceAtATime as well!

1 comment: