Sunday, May 2, 2010

Manga: Chapter 583 (SPOILERS!)

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!
It is bad to rob! You should buy your One Piece manga from Viz today! Volumes 44-48 are out now!

Before I get to discussing this chapter, I am going to rant. Why? Because that is what people with blogs do. haha So if you want to avoid this rant then just scroll down till you see the next image.

You know, I was having a pretty good Sunday. I was able to watch a good amount of Durarara(rarararara) and just be lazy. Something that I haven't done in a long while due to school. Of course I still had schoolwork to do but it was something I could do tomorrow. The only blog related item I had plan today was to get the screencaps for the latest One Piece episode for the next blog post. Then out of nowhere we got a new One Piece chapter!

Apparently the chapter got leaked online and scanlated in less then a day. So instead of me just enjoying a nice Sunday night with me taking my time doing the screenshots, I am here doing this post. I don't am not mad that I am doing this post earlier then I expected since I was going have to do it anyways eventually.  What I am upset is that this chapter came out on the internet before being put on paper!

I am not sure if anybody pay attention to the news recently but Weekly Shonen Jump has issued a letter to scanlatations to stop scanning their stuff. Now it is noble of them to do that but we all know that won't happen. Still what people may not know is that scanlations are hurting Weekly Shonen Jump. I am sure most people have heard this already but let me give you something that you may not know. When the scans of the next chapter is out before they come out in print like with Chapter 574 and with this chapter. It turns out that people in Japan actually read them and sometimes, just like people who don't buy the manga in certain places (United States), find it pointless to buy that week's Weekly Shonen Jump because they have already read it online.

Now this maybe a bit of Weekly Shonen Jump for not offering a legal way to read One Piece (and other popular series) online. May it be Weekly Shonen Jump not wanting to embrace the internet or something but still as fans we need to support them. Because if they go under because of lack of sales then that is it. No more One Piece and *insert your other favorite manga series here*. This may be mostly for the Japanese people but as Americans (and others), we need to do all we can do to support One Piece which means spilling some money on buying the manga. It sucks but that how things are. The people who supply One Piece in Japan know what is going on and are feeling the pain from scanlations. The letter is proof and everytime these chapters come out earlier then expected or are leaked (like this week) is just another punch to One Piece, Oda and the people who help supply the series.

I may be speaking to the choir here since really this is all the scanlator's fault because they don't have any willpower to wait on releasing the scanlations but if there is any scanlators out there reading this then please remember this the next time the chapter is leaked. Then maybe please wait a good few days before releasing it. It would be nice but whatever.

Time for the meat of the post!

Ace is a damn jerk when he was a little kid! I mean Luffy may be a native little kid with all this talk about wanting to be friends and junk but Ace just ignores him. I mean you think he could at least say something to Luffy as in "Back off you stupid kid." or like "Shut up!" but ignoring him.

This was a pretty feel good chapter. Nothing epic like what we got during the Marineford but I really like that. I was kind of getting tired of all the epicness since I was thinking it may spoil us fans. So this chapter was a real treat. It got some laughs from me with Luffy trying to chase after Ace and Luffy being Luffy. Am I a bad person to laugh when that tree that Ace broke was rolling down towards Luffy? haha Still beside Ace being a jerk, Luffy really was spoiled as a little kid! Complaining and all. I understand that you were just been given to a group of mountain bandits to be raised by but be grateful for at least feeding you.

One thing that this chapter did a really good job is with all the little flashbacks to Luffy's past to justify why Luffy may be acting this way. Point one would be when Luffy says he doesn't like mountain bandits. I didn't realize this at first that the people behind Luffy when he said that were the mountain bandits from the beginning of the series but the dots connected and I understood that statement. That was really cool.

Then the flashback that I liked a lot was the when Luffy said this:
"It's not something to get angry about! Let's be friends!"
-Young Luffy
Seems like Luffy understood what Shanks did at the bar way before his thing with Bellamy back in Mock Town on Jaya. So even though Luffy right now is a bit spoiled, he seem to be somewhat mature enough to know what to be upset about and not. I am really impress with little Luffy here. He got upset a bit but really understand that it won't be any good to be upset about some spilled milk.

Also remember this, nothing says 'I want to be best friends' then cutting the bridge when the person that is following you is still on it. haha

Luffy really has some loyalty here. In just one chapter, we witness twice moments where Luffy didn't rat out Ace. The kid must really want to get on Ace's good side or something. I mean Luffy really sucks at lying when he has to but you got to respect the kid for staying true to his friends.

Still this is nothing new when it comes to Luffy. He is willing to go though the grave and back in order to help his friends so this is no different. Even though Ace doesn't want his friendship, Luffy is still willing to give it. Though here it seems like he is going to get into some trouble now. Luffy is going to be in a sticky situation it seems.

Now let take a moment to look at what is happening here. Luffy is being taken away from some bandits here while Ace and Sabo is watching. Now here is something to think about, Sabo is here. Where have we heard this word before? Wait! Didn't Ace mention a 'Sabo thing' back when he was about to die?

I am guessing we are going to see this 'Sabo thing'. So far from what we have seen, Sabo is a close person to Ace and maybe a friend. I could be using the word loosely but at least Sabo isn't being spit at and given the cold shoulder. haha

Something is going to happen here. We haven't seen Sabo at all in the main story until now. So one thing we will see from this flashback is how Luffy and Ace became brothers while the other thing the answer to what happen to Sabo. Did the kid die? Did Ace and Sabo part ways after this thing? We don't know but it seems like we are going to get these answers soon.

So not much really happen if you compare it to the epicness that we got during Marineford. We see the beginnings of Luffy's and Ace's relationship. If anything this chapter did a really good job in showing us that pieces of the Luffy that we know today has been with him for a long time. The want to push the non-important disagreements to the side and his loyalty to friends. Things that he would later on be recognize for by the people close to him which in this case I am referring to his crew. Still we got something that was enjoyable and much more down to earth.
"He's my friend! Oh, but he did try to kill me just now..."
-Young Luffy
haha Yep. More down to earth. Just a bunch of kids getting into trouble. haha I can't wait to see how this will all be resolved. Would Luffy show us some Gum Gum action? Would Ace and Sabo go in and help Luffy? How would our 'little rascals' get out of this one? I think I am going to enjoy this. haha Still I would enjoy this more if we got them on days that we usually get them which would be on Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. I'd still like Oda to go into more of Luffy's "marine" training. I was raised on the coast and I know for a fact that without sea monsters and whirlpools there's more to sailing than getting in a boat and heading towards adventure. Luffy has to know the basics... from somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous
    Grandpa Garp must have told him some of the basics for sailing and Luffy bray got them. Also remember that he roamed around the sea in a barrel for a good while. haha

    ReplyDelete