Friday, March 4, 2011

Question Corner: Anime or Manga?

An age long question that has been asked since the the idea of adopting anime from manga was considered. Sometimes you have people who are completely on the side of the manga. Other times you have people who support the anime. If you look hard enough you find people who enjoy both the anime and the manga. Either way this is something that all series that are based on an manga go though.

One Piece like many animes is based on a popular manga. Somebody at Toei Animation saw the series in Weekly Shonen and said to themselves that One Piece would be an awesome anime. It could bring in millions of dollars for them and they could ride this show until they ran out on Dragonball Z money. What they didn't know that this show would eventually surpass DBZ and make them BILLIONS of dollars!

Apparently something must have worked  for Toei since the show is making them a lot of money. People are willing to watch One Piece week after week and all the time we see it either on the number two or three spot on the weekly rankings. Even thought it pulls in killer ratings, there are still some people who say that the One Piece manga is better then the anime.

Pretend this is Toei basking in their money from One Piece

Some reasons people say that they don't like the anime include that the pacing is too slow, too much filler, and things tend to get change. These type of things seem to happen a lot when an manga gets adopted into an anime. In recent One Piece anime we been seeing this a lot ever since Toei decided to make each episode cover one chapter worth of material. As a result of this we been seeing a lot of Buggy filler and sense being drawn out.

There are reasons why people don't like the manga as well. Some people may find that the manga is a bit boring compare to the anime due to the fact that they have to read. That things tend to move too slow for their taste or that small details are not shown. There is also the lack of color which makes things a bit boring.

The reason why I bring up this topic is because recently in the anime we are hitting where Shanks arrived at Marineford. I remember covering this material as it was coming out in the manga and saying that I really wish that Marineford would be over. I felt that things were moving too slow and that Oda was really dragging out this war.  Ever since the death of Ace in the manga I felt that things were being dragged out and just wanted to arc to end.

 The face of Impel Down and Marineford filler

Then we got Blackbeard and all this other stuff. It was cool but I just wanted out of Marineford by then. Now that we are covering this material in the anime I am enjoying it. I don't feel like things are being dragged out when actually they are in order to pad out the episode. It has been really fun to watch compare to the manga.

Personally I am a fan of the anime. It was what got me into One Piece and the anime and made me into a One Piece fan. The only reason why I even started reading the One Piece manga on a weekly basis was because I this blog. The only reason why I started collection the manga volumes was to support Viz's One Piece speed up that they did last year. I don't regret doing either of those things since I love One Piece but these actions weren't because I loved the manga. I still love the anime and would put it higher then the manga on my priority list. I buy the Funimation DVDs because I want to be able to watch Luffy and crew with voices and movement. Everything seems so much more  fun.

To me I put the anime above the manga because you get a bit more details. You have color to the characters compare to the manga where all you have are shades of black, white and gray. You also have sound as in music and voices to go with the characters. If there is a dub then you have a language that you can understand leaving me with the option to just literally kick back and relax as I enjoy the show.

Things are a bit rushed in the manga itself especially a year ago with Oda being busy with Strong World. Some events were skimmed over like how Mr. 3 got to the gallows where in the anime they showed how Mr. 3 got up there. That was a really nice addition that anime watchers got that manga readers didn't get.

Also not all the filler we got during Marineford was bad. Because of filler some fights were expanded on such as Ivankov and Akainu where in the manga it was skipped over. Instead in the anime we got an actual fight that was great to watch. It really helped made the episode for us to watch. Then there were some funny filler with Buggy such as them trying to get the Transponder Snail out of it's shell.

 This an awesome fight...It just most of it was filler.

Don't get me wrong! I do like the manga because if I didn't then I wouldn't have been willing to cover it in the blog. It has been a blast to follow the manga weekly even though it gets on my nervous sometimes with how awesome Oda is at leaving us on cliffhangers. That guy just bring you back week after week begging for more in the awesome story and world that he is constructing. haha It just that if I had to say which one I liked better then I would have to say the anime.

Still now I bring up the question to you....

QUESTION: Do you prefer the One Piece anime or manga? Why?

7 comments:

  1. Personally, I like both. I sometimes find more story detail in the manga but I do enjoy the pacing of the anime and everything it has to offer. Both are really awesome tho and I love oda for dedicating over 10 years to this one manga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both but anime more. I find that the manga skip some parts which leave out the details like some funny parts for example. But the good thing about the manga is that it don't drag the arc so long, it is up ahead the storyline. Personally i love the anime more it give more details and i love to watch more than read. But the thing i don't really like about one piece anime is that each episode are so short it only like about 18 or 20 minutes.I found preview is unnecessary to the point it is kind of annoying. I skip it all the time. About marineford arc in the anime is kinda drag too long. It be great if one piece episode length could be longer. The episode is too short like an blink of an eye then it will be the end of the episode.But still i prefer the one piece anime more than the manga. Because only the anime i can enjoy one piece to the max. So basically one piece anime is great but its episode is too short if that problem is fix i think it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The manga all the way, well, in the anime u get the visuals and the audio which really gets u into the perfect atmosphere, Whitebeard's death was so Epic i started calling all my friends and shouting how great One Piece is lol..
    but in the manga, you get to see exactly what Oda is trying to say, you can really feel the characters and their expressions, also the manga's cliffhangers are way WORSE (in a good way) than the anime.. add to that the details in the art, the anime is missing that, there are way more details in the manga than the anime.. umm, although we sometimes get fillers in the anime which is cool, i'm not against that, but they did skip some scenes from the manga, like in episode 194 Robin and Gan Fall they were talking about Roger and Luffy, in the manga Robin mentioned that the relation between Roger and Luffy could be a missing link in the history, which wasnt mentioned in the anime, and IMO it was an important conversation.

    ahhh, long story short, I prefer the manga lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both ^_^! The manga is the original without it there would be no anime. It is awesomely drawn and has cool stuff we don't see in the anime like the cover stories. And the anime has sound, voices, color and movement and being an animation student I of course love seeing it as a cartoon. I just love both equally ^_^.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like anime more. Laughter's more contagious when you hear it. Sadness's more profound when you hear it. The actions are more real when you see them animated. Even the background music play crucial role in defining the different moments which brings out more flavor when seeing One Piece animated. I just think anime offers more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Manga more, because everything seem to move so slow in the anime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Manga more! You get a sense of artwork in manga and in anime it's kinda like a cheap ride IMO. With manga you can spend time appreciating all the small things and Oda's hardwork. You get title pages and such, and the slow paced moments and the fillers in anime bother me, not to mention the terrible dubs in english versions.

    ReplyDelete