Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Anime: StrawHat Seperation Arc- Episode 420

 
First Thoughts
Well my literally first thoughts was that the animation for this episode looked very Movie 7/Movie9-ish. I mean I only seen one of those two movies but I really like that animation style. Well I like it because it is different but I don't think I would like it if every episode of One Piece was made like that. It is kind of like in Pokemon back in the Indigo League days and then the change of style that they used for the first Pokemon movie. It seems like the One Piece anime pulled out the special crayons for this episode and I think it really was a good choice. It did a good job in setting the tone of the episode as a dark and almost bleak setting. The anime crew for One Piece went beyond the norm in setting the tone for this movie by not only have the right music but also had the animation match the episode.

Or that what I think...

Summary
Luffy and Hancock are still heading for Impel Down on a Marine battleship. Luffy eats more.

Robin lands on a snowy island and is taken in by a little girl. Turns out that everybody on the island including the little girl are building a bridge to connect two islands. Some lady rats out Robin and reports her to the guards of the island. Robin ends up turning herself in to help protect the little girl and her friends from harm. Finds out that the 'country/island' is a place where people who are part of countries that don't allied with the World Government are sent here.

Usopp lands on some plant island. Gets saved by some Heracles from a giant beetle and man eating plants.

Thoughts

And right off the bat (kind of) we get Bishonen Luffy! With...his cheeks all puffed up. haha Well this is kind of getting closer to modern day bishonen I guess. I am not really sure about the 'evolution' of bishonen though anime but I am guessing this is part of it since so far that is what they are doing with these different moments of Bishonen Luffy.

The roses are a nice touch don't you think? haha To tell the truth I been looking forward to Bishonen Luffy every week. It adds a nice touch to the anime. haha


And we all know why this image is here. I just like Hancock that much that she is going have to be here every time we have her do something cute. haha Just like the roses that were with Luffy, the hearts really had a nice touch to the moment.

Oh? What is this? Some competition for our Empresses? Does she thinks that Robin and Nami may pose a threat to her love?

I have to say this is the best of both worlds here. We get Bishonen Luffy and cute/beautiful Nami and Robin in outfits that they have never worn before. I just have to say I love both outfits and wish they would one day wear then in the anime. Or we get a reappearence of them in those outfits. They really show off their assets but they are missing their eyes. What happen to their eyes? I guess that is the price you pay when you are such a beautiful person. Sigh. haha


Yes! Don't give up Hancock! Don't give up! You have our support! Or mines at least! Don't give up! Please don't give up!

Determine Hancock is so cute don't you think? haha


I got to say that is a very good paw print in the snow there.

Then there is an interesting image of Robin laying in the snow.


Got to say that if they were going for the WWII Nazi Germany (Can I say Nazi on the internet or on Blogger?) look with this image and overall episode then I have to say they did a good job. I was really getting this feel when I was watching this episode. I mean even the symbol on their coats look like the ones during that time. Then the force labor camps that were all over the place. Then there was the snow! Then there was this whole dark look going on with the animation! Everything just fitted perfectly with what was going on. I know this is a sad moment but these guys that did this episode did a good job in forming this little country to give off this vibe. I mean you don't even know if these are bad guys but you can already get that tone from them just by looking at them in this image. Amazing. Purely amazing.


This scene overall really screamed to me that they were using the animation or crayons that were used during the Movie 7 and Movie 9. All the designs here was very 'dirty' looking and incomplete but it help set the scene. The episode was kind of dark overall in my opinion with what was going on and how things were moving. And then Movie 7 is said to be the most dark of all the One Piece movies with the plot and with what happen so tying in what we know from that movie and it's animation style felt really 'dark' about this episode. Not really sure how to say it but I hope you guys get what I mean.



Could she be referring to the fact that Oda says that Robin smells like flowers? I just wondering is all. Though I wonder how that smells like. I guess to a girl that never have left her home country and lives in a place that I guess always snows that the smell of flowers is new to her. I was beginning to really feel for this girl right here since she has never really left her home country before. How somebody like Robin is completely new to her from Robin's clothes to her smell. All is new and unique to her. It is kind of amazing but very sad at the same time.

Aww...This is very sad. The girl was willing to risk her dinner just for she can get some wood and even take a more higher risk to give Robin a place to rest and even her own food. How sad. It just seems so wrong with what is going on here on this country.


And Robin knows that it be hard for her to get off this place now. Sigh. Poor girl. She found herself on this country that enslaves it's people to build a bridge to nowhere.


I wonder how many more countries are on this bridge. If this is only one of those 'towns/countries' then how many more are on this bridge? Ten? Hundreds? They been making this bridge for 700 years. Clearly there has to be more.

Ohara. One day I am going to watch those episodes. I been hearing a lot of good things about this arc here where they go over Robin's past and I have seen some clips of it but never all of it. Those episodes fall under that time of One Piece where I couldn't find those episodes. Still crazy that Robin has no place to go back to or anything.

Is it just me or those islands that this girl drew look like the ones that Usopp is on?

It's Sky Island!

Boy does this girl has Sky Island almost completely down. I mean they look just like the real ones that we saw many arcs ago. I have to say I am impressed.


I wonder if Robin told this girl everything about what happen at Sky Island or just the happy parts? Did she tell this girl that they had to fight against this guy that had almsot god-like powers and had a huge ego problem? And that this guy wanted to destroy the Sky Island so he can go to some place on the moon? I mean Robin told her about the ruins that were up there but did she told the girl how they got there or anything? I guess not seeing that the girl was smiling the whole time during the story. I mean Enel would ruin any story that he is in so I don't see what there is to smile about unless you got to the part where Luffy blasts Enel away.

You know what? If this wasn't a filler character and if Luffy and crew had actually came to this island. I would have no problem if this little girl joins the StrawHats crew. I just love her little dream of going around and painting all the island she go to. The StrawHats crew would be perfect. She could go around with the crew painting each island that Luffy and crew lands on. Maybe do some sort of fighting and just go on from there. I found her dream so sweet and just perfect for your little crew of dreamers. I so wish that we get some sort of follow up on this girl somehow or just a hint that this girl is going to be able to fulfill her dream of painting. I just hope so.

And here enters the dirty little rat chick and the guards. All good things must come to an end and it sucks it has to be this way. The guys goes up to see if the can find Robin but the only see that Robin is...


On the roof! Nowhere to be found in the room and they have no idea. Got to say pretty smart of them to think of that. Using the moment when they are going inside to hide Robin. Though it must be cold for Robin to be out there.

And now we get to the part where the man tries to breaks the girl but breaking the pictures. We watch one by one as he breaks them with his bare hands. The crystal one. The candy one. And then the flower one. Has to be hard to see your work just being torn apart like that.

Still I wonder if the writers for One Piece are into American cartoons.That candy one reminds me of Candy Island from the Misadventures of Flapjack. "ADVENTURE!" "CANDY ISLAND!" (Yes...I do watch some American cartoons. And Cartoon Network...)


Sky Island! He is going to break apart Sky Island! The place that this girl actually knows exist! That isn't just something she made up! A place with history! This I guess made the scene way much more interesting. The writers really did crafted this episode carefully where they made each thing build upon each other. They made such a small place to have so much detail that you can actually feel for the characters even if they only been there for less then twenty minutes. Wow.


I really thought that the girl will break right here. Just by looking at the emotion on her face as the man held the image of Sky Island before her. I was thinking the whole time that sh was going to break. That any minute sh is going to break down into tears and reveal Robin's location. I mean I didn't want it to happen but I was thinking somewhere in the back of my mind.


Smash! There goes all her picture and she didn't tattletale on Robin. Tough nerves there. Tough nerves. I really felt bad for the girl when this happen. I so didn't want this to happen but it did. That has to really hurt.


Oh? Who are those awesome hands belong to? What are they doing?

CLUTCH!


OH! They are Robin's awesomeness powers of the Hana Hana fruit! I just love when Robin uses her power and goes all awesome. These guys didn't see it coming.


Oh? What is drunk guard going to do? You really think that you can stand up to the awesome of Robin? She just stopped your friends with a flip of her hand just a few minutes ago. How about you go run off and cry in a puddle of wine or whatever you were drinking earlier.


Yeah! Even while let herself get capture Robin still looks good! Her hands in the air as she just let the drunk guard bring her in. Robin knows that she can take the man on with her hands tied behind her back but just doing this act to protect her new friends. Way to go. Awesome as always Robin. Awesome.


I laughed so much when this happen. That guy so deserved it. haha


The Awesome of Nico Robin. Right there. Just just sits calmly on top of a pile of men she knocked out as all these guys points their gun at her. Nice. Style and Grace. haha You show them Robin. You show them.



Time for the sober part of the episode. When everything about this country is being revealed. How that these people are actually people from other countries that refuse the join the World Government. How this bridge as been in construction for over 700 years.

I wonder. If this island has prisoners on it and Sengoku said that the captured pirates from Sabaody Archipelago were to be place into labor. Then did he meant this? Were they sent to Tequila Wolf? Does that mean we may see some our favorite Supernovas? Will we find out which Supernovas were captured back there?

Also this does really reflect one of the Marine's policies. The whole 'you are born from a criminal also makes you one' policy. That girl said she been on this island all her life. That means her mother and father were part of this country that didn't join the World Government and now she is stuck paying for their judgement unfairly. Sad.


And now we follow Usopp...Who got like only five minutes of screen time? Well there wasn't much but I have some thoughts on this part. Not much.


The big red X is a nice touch.


Aww! Poor Usopp! He is all alone and sad. I mean he been with the crew this whole time. Even during the events of Enies Lobby he was still with the crew. And now he is truly away from the crew.

Also I notice that the Movie 7 and Movie 9 animation style doesn't really look good in bright and sunny environments like here. Doesn't look as nice.


Matrix! WOOSH!





What we learn in this episode. Usopp's nose is flammable! haha


Just enjoy the moment. I am kind of running out of steam here and really I just found this image funny. haha All three of them just in the ground and stuck there. Then they all fall. Nice. Very nice. haha


HERCULES! RAR!

He does look cool. But I guess the guy doesn't talk to people much.


And then we leave Usopp as he runs away from man eating plants. That is all...

Preview

Next week we seem to get Zoro and Brook. Our swords men. I am looking forward to mostly Zoro because I want to see what the heck Peona is going to do to him. It seems like kind of a repeat of what happen at Thriller Bark but also some funny stuff there. Also we get to see maybe some insight in the some recent happenings. Brook...Well he be funny right? haha Till next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment