Thursday, December 23, 2010

Anime: Marineford Arc- Episode 480

The LOVE episode. Yup, it’s only OnePieceOfficial.com that can deliver such beautiful, heart-wrenching moments such as these, and Still be just This Awesome.
First Thoughts
Sora here, proud and happy to announce that this is the last episode to cover a manga chapter I have previously read! Huzzah!! Now (minus the spoilers I already have regarding major events) I can actually be SURPRISED again upon watching my weekly One Piece episode. HUZZAH! Plus, this episode was amazing all on its own. Really surprising, blew me right out of the water, and had a perfect “One Piece” ending to the episode. Covered a lot of material as well, a lot of huge events occurred that were sure to freak out people who hadn’t already known what to expect. What I especially enjoyed was how quickly they moved the episode along, because they covered a lot of material here and it all went together so well, even with the few flashbacks.
{Oh, and I have non-officially dubbed this episode “The LOVE Episode”. Way too many instances of affection (brotherly, parenthood, friendship) to not have it be mentioned.}
Summary
In an epic turn of events, Luffy is faced by the great Marine Vice-Admiral Garp, his grandfather and fatherly figure. He and his grandfather remember happier times when a young Luffy was being roughly trained to be a Marine soldier by his grandfather, and both grandson and grandfather strike out at the other with their Fists of Love. However, Garp realizes he cannot bear to lose both his blood grandson and his adopted grandson at the same time, thus at the last moment he swerves his punch high, allowing Luffy’s to connect and knock the aged-admiral off of the collapsing path.
Reaching the platform at long last, Luffy tries to unlock Ace’s Sea Stone handcuffs but is stopped when Kizaru shoots a beam of light at the key, breaking it. Sengoku suddenly releases his mysterious power and grows to the size of a giant, appearing as a huge, golden Buddha figure. With his outrage he destroys the execution platform as all Marines fire upon the structure.
Mr. Three, disguised as one of the executioners, suddenly recovers from Luffy’s previous burst of Haki to realize the current situation. He had donned this disguise in tribute to his old comrade Mr. Two, in order to “help his friends”, and told Luffy that he would help his lost friend in this regard by aiding Luffy now. Creating a new key just as the explosions hit the falling debris of the platform, Ace is unlocked from the power-nullifying stone cuffs and bursts thru the flames with fire of his own, rescuing both Luffy and a terrified Mr. Three from the blast. Ace is finally freed.
Thoughts
I think I will be nice and brief here today, since A) I’m short on time and want to get to celebrating my holiday festivities on time, but mostly B) This episode really speaks for itself in terms of, well, Everything.
I really was surprised, and heartily amused by this bit with Helmeppo and Coby. Aww, Helmeppo has a heart!

 Bro Luv. Gotta love the sweet, happy feeling inside of seeing a guy show his feelings for a Friend.

And silly guy, Coby isn’t dead! …and don’t hate Luffy silly guy, if Coby doesn’t hate Luffy, then the pinkette Will hate you for hating his friend! Still, it is really nice to see that Helmeppo cares for Coby. He is such a better character now. Seeing Coby hurt like that…it still made me really worried, even though it Was Just a punch in the face. Still…
*Face-palm* Ah, Hancock…

Yes…well, there is a LOT of love in this episode…even the strange, strange form it comes in here…
I think the visuals on this episode are really fantastic. There are a lot of really well-timed zooms in and out, and when they show each character is really a good taste of the all-around battle air. Just noticing now because of the explosions.
This first part, where Luffy is pleading with his grandpa to let him just go past, and his grandpa has to show that he holds no mercy against ANY pirates is really just tearing to any heartstrings. Garp tells his own Grandson that he has to Kill him to get past…that is serious business.
THEN, they go and show some sweet flashbacks to when Garp worked Luffy to get in shape to be a Marine, and young Luffy and Garp bonding just kills ya! The little sound effects and whining Luffy makes are adorable too! Awwwww!! Kawaii~ This part when Luffy was on Garp’s back was extremely sweet (I chose that as the head image today!), and then Garp saying he swiped all the food from the Marines…priceless. Still, it makes me so sad…

Both of their determination are extraordinary, and Luffy even finds it in himself to fight his grandfather, if not much else. I was extremely proud of Garp here though; being able to adjust his punch That Much to make it look like something he could just call-off on ‘old age’ or something. Garp is in a terrible position right now, and he had to make the best of what he was dealing with, so I give him a huge kudos for being able to do something really tricky like that.
Loser Kizaru...cheating like that to shoot Whitebeard…beeping Logia-type…
I just heaved a sigh of relief once Luffy stepped onto the scaffold. I know that Sengoku is there and all, but still. It is like there goes a huge obstacle. You are already standing RIGHT THERE, how much farther must you go? I think that Ace shared my sigh of relief; his face finally grew a semi-normal look after he exchanged a few words with Luffy. After the longest time Ace finally gets to not freak out constantly.

I was really glad that Franky’s mid-episode marker came up today, because that meant that fun, exceptional, and spontaneous AWESOME stuff was going to occur!
Still…Sengoku is just…standing there…for a reeeeeeaaaaallly long time…but then, he scared me a LOT when he started changing into that giant golden Buddha. I remember this chapter, since it was the last one I actually Read, and I was really pleased with how the animators showed Sengoku’s transformation. The chapter had it kinda shadow-y, but this gave really good visuals.
LOSER KIZARU!!! Hate him, so so much.
So…a giant golden Buddha who is Sengoku declares that Luffy and his brother are about to be killed and…a One Piece moment happens. Mr. Three (San) suddenly awakens from his brief period of unconsciousness…right next to Ace and Luffy. The One Guy who could form a key (plus he has done so in the past). Right. There. A perfect One Piece moment.
I just now realized that Luffy probably asked Mr. San to shield Ace from his own Balloon. Huh…well, Mr. San has great reflexes, I’ll give him that. But still, that is a fun scene to see.

OH MY GODS, BUGGY!?

Buggy Goin’ Bug-Eyed
…wow. Just…wow. Oh Buggy…don’t you Dare say that Mr. San is wearing something weird, not with what YOU have on…Oh Buggy…
I love Mr. San, as I love to call him. Aww…and more friend-love to Mr. Two Bon Clay~…
I have to say, Mr. San raised HUGE points in my coolness meter in this episode, and previously before after reading this last chapter as well. I have a newfound respect for him now. I mean, when a ‘fun’ character dies…well, you just have to honor them. It is the only way. ‘Fun’ characters should never Have to die. It is so…sad…especially in the way Bon-kun did. Poor Mr. Two…
Well, I am really glad that everyone is worried for them…even Buggy, wow, I have to say that he probably gets a point or two, if only for his friend-love because he now feels some connection with his comrades (Mr. Three). So that makes me happy. Even as I shake my head at his face.

Burn, Baby, BURN

Ace is HOT Once More!!!

Yay! Everyone is so exuberant! Good! Still…Oh Buggy…his mouth got even Wider…wow…hahaha hahaha!

I really enjoyed seeing everyone’s reactions. It made it feel a lot more real, and it helped with the experience a lot. Well, this marks a milestone. I NOW HAVE NO TRUE CLUE AS TO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! Yatta~ Finally, I am going in blind once more! Besides a few (cough several) spoilers of major events, I have no clue how these happenings occur past here! Huzzah!!! How exciting! YES! Plus, a great episode.
Preview

So…I have no idea what is going to be going down next episode. Seriously, not a clue. First time in months actually. I’ll bet that there will be a brief moment of relief for some groups, and high panic for others. Hm…it looks like Whitebeard had better call a retreat fast. I don’t think that staying and duking it out with the Marines would be a really good idea with the condition he’s in…So, heads-up for next week, to see what surprises lie in-store for us viewers!

Next Episode: Ace Freed! Whitebeard’s Final Captain’s Order!
Thank's for watching, and go back to OnePieceOfficial.com next week to see the follow-up to this superb episode for more One Piece action, and the thrilling conclusion to this fine arc! 

No comments:

Post a Comment