Thursday, June 9, 2011

Anime: Post Marineford Arc- Episode 499 *Late*

“Luffy could have been eaten…by Lions, or Tigers, or Bears, oh my!” Oh wait, there were no Lions here. Silly Sabo.  OnePieceOfficial.com: Be there.
First Thoughts
Well, I have to start off by saying that I was really unsure how this episode would turn out. After all, I do not know yet how long this Arc is going to be, so I don’t know when to expect the end of it. I Do, however, know the basis of how it ends (which is unfortunate), so I figured this was not the end. I liked the teamwork developing more between the boys, but also think it is really interesting to watch how much skill Luffy is going to have learned at this age. The overall premise of the episode was cool and all, but I am looking forward to next week’s episode and getting back to the main focus, although this episode certainly had its foreshadowing moments which worry me considerably for the boys’ fate…
And for the sake of time and all purposes today, I will ignore the issue that this post is Almost 3 weeks late due to a need to just get this up and done with...

Summary
After their fight over Luffy’s discovery of Ace’s father, Gol D. Roger, Luffy leaves the clubhouse while Sabo and Ace continue to try and defeat the giant tiger in order to determine who the captain will be. When the boys come upon Luffy next, he tells them about his “apprenticeship” under the ex-pirate captain, Naguri.
Naguri appears and offers to let “train” the other two boys as well, showing them his secret cove and the ship he is building within it. The three boys choose to stay with the old man and learn how to be “true” pirates while helping him build his ship, building skills and power to become stronger. Naguri tells the boys that it is his dream to return to sea and locate his disbanded crewmembers one last time, later telling Ace about the way to be a “good” pirate captain.
In the end, the boys discover that they must work together as a synchronized team to defeat the tiger, and after doing so Sabo and Luffy admit begrudgingly that Ace must be the captain now because he came up with the plan. Ace declines, and retorts that they all helped defeat the tiger together. Seeing his teaching has paid off, Naguri sails off in his ship after bidding the boys a fond farewell. Meanwhile the pirate captain Bluejam has discovered the location of Sabo, whose father is searching desperately for the boy, and has finally decided to act: capturing the boy and reaping a huge reward for his deliverance.
Thoughts
This episode started out well for me: running away at breakneck pace from a gigantic, vicious tiger. Hahaha! What fun! But still, I will make this quick today due to the lack of really significant points which hit me.
Sabo is trying to get Ace (who has such a Nasty stubborn streak!) to calm down about Luffy. Dang, does he ever listen to other people? Sabo’s attempts to get Ace to care were funny, but then added to the dramatic sincerity of the situation. It is really funny hearing Sabo yell at Ace for not caring and hearing Naruto’s voice yelling at Sasuke in such a similar situation. It was a good feel. I do like when that tree fell though. That was cool.


After recently catching up on the canon Manga version of this time period, I have to express how much I really enjoy the Anime compared to the Manga, and have been reminded (once more) exactly why I love the Anime. This two-episode story with Naguri, although non-canon, helps develop each of the boys and shows their emotions so much better and more clearly than just reading the Manga. Naguri is not a canon character, but this side-story involves useful scenes integrated from the canon scenes in the Manga counterpart, so it simply adds a sense of more reality to the boys’ situation.
Now, back onto this part of the story. This emotion portrayed by the simple action of just stopping in the snow is really well done on the animator’s parts. I have to commend this. This gives a great distinction between how each of the boys feels for Luffy, and helps the audience understand how Ace’s emotions are working as this episode plays through.
This little gig Luffy has right now as Naguri’s “trainee” is certainly an interesting deal. Haha, I do like how Luffy’s gag plays out, when he aims for a target and keeps hitting the old man. Hahaha!

Ace’s conversation with Naguri is really good in terms of showing how Ace is personally dealing with and developing a sense of his feelings towards his father. Obviously grown-up Ace did not appreciate having Gol D. Roger as his dad, but wasn’t as hateful towards the world like he is when he is 10 years old (luckily for us). Especially talking to a man who fought Roger…hopefully this might let Ace see his father in a different light than the nasty one of those freaks and thugs he grew up with always talk about.
Ace declaring the idea of Roger having a son Was rather risky for himself, but it brought an unexpected answer from the old man. I thought it was such an amazing thing (not to mention great advice and sad truth) that Naguri told Ace that the son of Roger would be always haunted by his father’s name, and that he might not want to be a pirate because the name would bring ruin to the son’s life. This was such a sucking-of-breath moment, especially to see Ace’s reaction.
Then- it happened; that one moment of bad-animation which I so hate and dread. Just for the point of showing Ace charging at the old man, but still. Bleh.
Once more, something I find ridiculous and utterly comical all at once: when Ace, Sabo, and now Naguri use those iron poles and pipes to fight, the sounds of swords clashing and slicing are clearly heard. Now, I don’t know about anyone else, but I have Never heard a metal pipe “slash” or “clink” when hitting it against a person or metal piece like that. It made me annoyed a bit, but mostly made me laugh.
Basically the next long part is just Naguri showing the boy’s his pirate ship that he has been creating from scraps in the Grey Terminal, and announces his dream of setting off on the oceans once more to reunite with his scattered and long-lost crew mates. A nobel dream if I ever heard one.
There is a part during Naguri’s talk to the boys (when he is asking them to help him out and work on the ship) when Sabo does something really funny. The view switches to the boys as Naguri says “well, I was hoping you two could help out on building the ship with me”, and Sabo moves his head straight back in a manner which looks like he is almost taken-back with the idea of helping this old guy build a ship. It is really funny, and it is hard to notice. Ha, and then he protests (moving his head straight forward now!) why does He have to work too, just because Ace lost? It is funny.
Then…there is a long training montage. When they were showing the boys working on the ship, it reminded me of the Merry Go (awww), and then they were shown later under a huge sakura tree, which reminded me of Chopper’s Qwack-Doctor teacher (awwwwwww!).

Ha, he hit the Old Guy again!
Aasaaaahhhhh! Ug, Naguri was going to give some valuable advice, then he randomly says, “I forgot!” I love the faces Luffy and Sabo make. They are funny. I am really sad though, because Sabo has a great sense of humor, and I really, really like him as a character. Especially after his announcement to want to write a book about his adventures as a pirate. That is, after all, the only occupation I can think of that still needs filling on Luffy’s ship…but I don’t know exactly what happens to Sabo in the end!! Aggg…it’s killing me inside…
When Ace went to have this talk with Naguri…it was really interesting. That is, it really takes a tough person to admit they were not a good captain, as Naguri does when Ace is demanding to know what is more important than being strong. This whole conversation is really crucial to me, and I am kinda sad it is not canon. I bet it helped Ace a bit though, at least, I hope it did.

Cool that they got the boat finished, but onto the important point: fighting the tiger.
I think it is cool how they blow up fighting the tiger, leading up the suspense and all, unlike the Manga which just had clips of them seeing it and later beating it together. This felt more…fulfilled than before, so it was pretty good.
This whole fight scene was really fun to watch, not only for their developing team-skills and the great use of Luffy’s powers, but also because they used very little if any shoddy-animation, which made me Very pleased. One of the turning points of the fight, and one of my favorite parts, was of course the moment the tiger almost is on top of Luffy, and both Sabo and Ace come together simultaneously to guard their younger friend. It is so sweet! I also love how comically fearful Sabo is sometimes, like now, when the tiger is totally gonna eat him.
Then, of course, came the best part:

OHKO!!
I just had to say that. It is true, no? Haha, this is adorable!

Rub the giant kitty’s tummy! Aww~
Hm, when Ace is talking to Sabo and Luffy about not being the captain because they helped him too, I just noticed who Ace’s personality reminds me of. He acts kinda like Zoro, with his temper and begrudging attitude towards others. It is funny, if it weren’t so serious generally.

It really did surprise me when that old dude whipped that cape around and Bam: it was his own pirate flag. I did Not see that coming. (wow, two shameless quotes in one post, I am on a roll today!)
So, everything turns out for the best. The boys grow closer and really get to live like kids and have fun. Unfortunately, they had best savor and treasure what time they have left, for it seems as though Bluejam has decided to cash-in and take Sabo soon, back to his dad (for money, the beep). Plus, what is this about the Celestial Dragons an episode two back? That is never a good sign.



Preview
Late again, no need.

I suppose that is all there is for this. Ah well, I hope you enjoyed what came, and come back (next week that is) for another (more exciting that this even) episode of One Piece, legally at OnePieceOfficial.com and back here to read up on all we have to comment on about the episodes. Ja ne!

2 comments: