Sunday, March 14, 2010

One Piece More: Sogeking says, "Real Men Can Cry Too"

Do you know why I like Sogeking? I don't know really. Maybe because he is like Batman and I like Batman. Maybe because he is Usopp? Both Batman and Sogeking are masked heroes that fight for good and are awesome beyond belief. They have so many cool gadgets. To tell the truth they are just awesome. If anything then Usopp is the Bruce Wayne of the One Piece world minus the high tech gadgets. Or the money. Or the car. Or the secret identity. Or...Well you get the point. They are just awesome people with mask!


One Piece: Season 2, Sixth Voyage
So because of Right Stuf, I got my One Piece S2V6 two weeks early (March 16th is the release date). That was awesome! Which means I got to see this awesome DVD two weeks earlier then I would have. Very cool. To tell the truth, I love this DVD set from the first episode all the way to the last episode on the DVD set. There wasn't anything to not be happy about. It may have been a while since I seen these episodes but they are still a great watch. Still enough about me talking about this? How about we go into details eh?

We go right into a battle on the first episode on the DVD and it is one of my favorite from the Alabasta arc. Heck, when you think about it. We get a lot of great battles in this arc from Usopp and Chopper vs Miss Merry Christmas and Mr. 4 to Nami vs. Miss Doublefinger to Luffy vs. Crocodile. It is hard for me to judge which one is second best in this arc but clearly second best in this DVD set was Nami vs. Miss Doublefinger. I don't know what it is about Nami but when she uses that Climatact, I just fall in love with her! When I saw her use this weapon for the first time I was awestruck and loved the idea of her controlling the weather. Seeing this dub was no different as I found it funny and awesome at the same time!

Don't get me wrong, the Zoro fight was great and all. It was also the commentary episode on this DVD set which had Chris Sabet (Zoro) and the VA for Mr. 1. Still since I am a Nami fan I just liked her fight better. Also this was the first time that Nami just goes full out in a fight on her own compare to Zoro where he does cool things in fights all the time. So got to give props and honor to Nami's first fight.
"So what if you one of the seven dumb Warlords! I guess that makes me...THE EIGHTH WARLORD!"
-Luffy
Still now we enter one of my favorite fights ever in One Piece....haha I don't know what to say about this. The fight of Luffy vs. Crocodile at Alabasta Palace is just a favorite of mines. haha It is number four on my top five fights in One Piece. I think it has something to do with this though.

Water Luffy!

Really.,...Did anybody think this would have worked? I mean this was a clear sign that the final battle against Croc wasn't going to be here but still it was just funny to watch. The fight was good but wasn't going to be the end. Though you got to give the kid points for trying to pull this off and it got a laugh out of Robin so it wasn't all that bad. haha Then seeing the reaction off of Croc's face was just priceless as he was wondering what the heck was going on.

Then this DVD set has my number one fight here! The third fight between Luffy and Croc! So worth it! This fight had everything to make an epic fight. Great battle scenes. Epic music that will stay with any One Piece fan even as we enter the 400's of this series. To tell the truth, I am not sure what else to say about this scene since there are no words that I can use to describe it. This is a scene that you have to watch or already watch to know what I mean. It was a long battle but was great.

Also I just love the music that is played here when Luffy lands the final punch. I sung with it as it was playing.

Minor note though, when Cobra thanked Luffy. Our straw hat-ed hero replied back with "No sweat." Is this a reference to the old dubbing company (4Kids) who replaced the blood with sweat? haha Kind of Funimation's way to make fun of the 4Kids dub for doing that and saying that what they did was the right way to do it? haha

You want my review? Well I don't have a review because this is just an awesome DVD set and I know I said the word awesome a lot here. Funimation did a great job in handling these episodes and if anybody is avoiding to buy this DVD set because they own Movie 8 then don't do that! These episodes are better then what was in Movie 8 and well worth the buy! If I had to suggest any DVD set that you need to get then this one would be on top! If you don't have this DVD set then you are missing out on a lot because there is just so much great things in this DVD set. I am so glad that I now own one of my favorite episodes on One Piece and it makes me feel so much better now. It may have been a long time since I seen these episodes and the first time I seen this dub uncut but the conclusion of the Alabasta arc is still as great and awesome.

One Piece Volumes 29-33
So about a month or more ago I got One Piece volumes 29-33 and pretended that I didn't spend $55 bucks on it. Then just this past weekend I got volumes 34-38 and once again pretend I didn't spend $55 bucks. Still that isn't the point. The point is that volumes 29-33 finished off the Skypiea arc in the manga and boy was it good. I was thinking Skypiea was going to be kind of lame since I didn't like it animated but it was just great. This arc truly shines better in a manga format where you can just read on and on.

You want to know why I think it was better in the manga and not the anime? The flashback scene to where Kalgara and Norland had to say goodbye. After that, every time they mention the golden bell and when Luffy rung it made me feel like tearing up a bit. Seeing the ending of this arc didn't do that to me when I watched it but reading it was something else. Maybe I am just getting older or something so it is easier for me to cry or maybe One Piece in written form is just that epic. Then again maybe I am just some big touchly feeling person that cry at anything sad. I was just very surprise how good Skypiea was in the manga. I may have gotten these volumes to support the One Piece Speed Up but I am so glad that I got them.

The last volumes out of the five was just the Foxy Arc which isn't that great. The anime I think did a better job even though it was too long and half of it was filler. Still right now I am reading volume 34 and I am excited since volume 37 and 38 contain things that I never seen. So hoping for some good stuff there.

DragonBall Z Kai
So incase you haven't heard to news, Dragonball Z Kai will be shown on Nicktoons Network some time in the Spring. For those that don't know, Nicktoons Network is the channel where Nick show all their cartoons. It is a good channel. I had it for a while and rewatch a lot of Avatar (The Last Airbender).

That is good for DBZ Kai. I mean I would watch it if I had the channel. I am not much of a fan of DBZ Kai since it just DBZ with less fillers and to tell the truth it sounds boring to me. I am sure it is a great series but I been there and watched that. Still do you know what this news of DBZ Kai being on Nicktoons Network means to me? That Cartoon Network has given up on anime. They want that stuff off that network. I was thinking they will be jumping at the chance to show DBZ Kai since it just DBZ and DBZ was very popular on CN. Still seems like they don't want that. CN has some good shows but it seems like they are going in a different direction! That they are well beyond the need of good animes to help keep them afloat. That young boys won't like the action and coolness that DBZ Kai will offer. That young boys would prefer silly and pure fart jokes and watching things blow up. I remember that when I see my little brother watching the next One Piece DVD set in awe as he laugh at what Luffy is doing.

If anything then we have a strong look into the future as I can make the guess that if One Piece would get a TV deal then it would be on Nicktoons Network. Funimation has already made a relationship with the network and if they wanted, I am sure Funi would offer Nicktoons Network One Piece instead to Disney XD. I would prefer Disney XD since I have that channel but it seems to make more sense if Funi offer it to Nicktoons seeing how well DBZ Kai most likely will do. I don't think Funi would want to pit two of their top assets against each other on different stations.

Still for those that have Nicktoons Network, I say watch DBZ Kai when it comes on and support it for me.

SPRING BREAK! YAY!

So I am finally on Spring Break! You know what that means! School work for me to do that has to be done if I don't want to be screwed over the week after! Got a midterm to study for and have to prepare for a big project that will effect this blog too! Hush hush on that for now. Still don't think I will forget about this blog during my Spring Break. I am going to try to catch up on some animes since I am behind on Durarara, Shugo Chara! Party! and Baka To Test (That has now been picked up by Funi). Then tomorrow (March 14), Pokemon HeartGold comes out so I am going to spend a lot of time (I hope) on that little game. heeheehee Still blog wise I am planning to do my usual Anime and Manga post but there is more! Next weekend I will be at KamiKaze Con talking it up with voice actors (hopefully). Got myself a recorder for any interviews I may get. Still for that get more information here (which includes information on how to get that cool Strong World figure).

Also why Sogeking for the opening image? Well Sogeking was the sticker that you get if you got in Shonen Jump this month and then Sogeking appeared at the end of volume 38. So that is awesome! Now that you know that, you so should get those two things right now. haha

So have a good weekend and for those that are on Spring Break....SPRING BREAK!

No comments:

Post a Comment