Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Anime: Impel Down Arc- Episode 448

This epicness can be seen by US fans on OnePieceOfficial.com!

First Thoughts
I really enjoyed this episode. It was one of the best that we have had in a long while which means it is better compare to the episodes that we had for the last three or so weeks. I do admit that the animation was a bit off and there was a part that made me wonder what was going on but overall this was a great episode. I would have to rank this one higher compare to the other episodes in this arc.

The fight between Ivankov and Inazuma really won me over in this episode and it is that action that got me pumped to see what will happen next. I really want to know what will happen to those two guys since they don't look too good right now. Maybe I have a short term memory but I don't remember being this excited to see what will happen next week. Instead of the 'I hope next week's episode is better then this week's' thing that I been feeling. Still to the episode!

Summary
Ivankov and Magellan battle on Level Three in order to give Luffy and the other prisoners the chance to move up in Impel Down. Ivankov is eventually defeated.

Inazuma challenges Magellan on Level Two but ends up being defeated.

Buggy and Mr. 3 continue to release prisoners on Level One. Eventually meets up with Luffy and his gang of prisoners. Magellan then arrives on Level One.

Thoughts
So we are now moving away from Baywatch running Magellan as we move up to Level Three. Seems like the man is piss off too as he attacks all the he sees. Though before we saw Magellan rampaging with his poison dragons, it seems as if more cells has been opened. I guess they were in the middle of releasing prisoners before Magellan came around.

That guy looks scary covered in poison as seen in the image above. I wouldn't want to cross him the wrong way right now. Taking no prisoners and just busting anything that can walk.

Now I mention before that the animation was a bit off. Here is what I meant. It seems like the animators were rushing or something in this episode since they didn't draw in Ivankov's face in those two scenes. I know it has nothing to do with anything but it is kind of distracting when you are trying to watch the episode. Just see a face with just a moving mouth. then in another you just see a chick there with no face.

Well it is a big deal if you are just one of those people that pay that much attention to details but really I don't have too much of a problem. Lazy animation is bound to happen but it just kind of strange. Maybe I don't know much about drawing but I am sure you could have given Ivankov something of a face. If anything it is the scene where you just see a pair of lips on Ivankov is the one that creeps me out the most. haha

See! Now that is what I wanted back when we were on Level Six and Inazuma was cutting up the ground. I wanted him to look something like that when he was showing his power back there. Not him crouching down with that funny cutting sound. That sound and posture kind of killed the moment back then but here it looks so cool as he cut the walls up. Then the floors. None of that off sounding cutting. Just a simple cut and swipe.

Still seems like Inazuma isn't too happy with the idea of Ivankov staying behind to fend off Magellan. I am sure the guy wants to go down there and help out Ivankov but somebody has to make sure there isn't away for Magellan to get up. I am guessing they don't know what the poisonous warden is capable of.

You see Magellan's face there? Yeah...That was mines too when I saw what was happening

AHHH! It's horrible! Just plain horrible to see! That beauty that was there is turning into some horrible deformed man! AHHH!

Okay.....You think I wouldn't react like that since I do also run a blog about how females are portrayed in anime. Still...I am a guy under all of this.

I really wanted to see how it looked like as Ivankov turned into a girl since that would have been interesting to see. Though seeing it happen the other way was kind of creepy. I was kind of liking Ivankov as a chick and was getting use to it. Somehow I am creeped out when I see a chick goes to a man. I can handle male to female transformation but not so well when it is the other way around. Now I may have creep out you guys for knowing this kind of information. haha

And the fight has started! Ivankov's hormones and whatever Death Wink is verses Magellan's poisons. Seems like as long as Ivankov keeps Magellan's poison off then he will be okay. The problem is that Magellan isn't going to let Ivankov land a hit on him because he has a Hydra there to take a hit. Kind of dead even match since Magellan can reform the Hydras just as fast as Ivankov can bat his eyelashes.

What?

Yeah...I was asking the same thing too when this was happening. haha Don't worry Magellan. You weren't alone in the clueless expression. I just didn't know what to take from Ivankov's little performance. haha It was just so silly seeing him do that.

I really wonder what was the point of that. Still I guess now Ivankov has now made a NewKama version of Bon Clay's Oh-Come-My Way (Okama) Kenpo. haha

Oh! They are back. Well...okay. Nice to see them again. haha
 
 So it seems like we are now on Level Two while Ivankov is down there handling Magellan. Got to say that Croc looks pretty pimpin floating there as the others run. True pimps don't need to run. They glide (Yes, I have been going around Arlong Park again...).

So Level Two is an easy walk in the park. The jailers are either gone or were taken care of by Buggy and his people. So now we can wait an episode to see them get to Level One right? haah Right....

Buggy's face looks kind of creepy. Those prisoners must have been really desperate if they wanted to follow somebody like Buggy out of this place. I would be kind of scared if somebody spoke to me with that face. haha I really want to hear Mike McFarland say that in his Buggy voice. It would sound so funny. haha

Then we have Mr. 3 just giving everybody weapons. Have no idea where they came from but I guess they came from somewhere and they will be used. You think the jailers would have stop something like this but guess things are that crazy.

Hmm...I felt like I seen this before.

This is another bit of the animation that was for sure off. They literally reused the scenes before the eyecatcher here right after the eyecatcher. Really the guys must have been lazy when drawing this episode or something. First Ivankov's face and now this.

Now to their defense. Maybe they were trying to show that Buggy has been going around from cell to cell saying the same thing as he release prisoners and that Mr. 3 has been giving out weapons to the prisoners. Still they could have drawn different filler characters or something instead of reusing the animation. Then again maybe I am saying this because I am old and notice these things because this time my little brother was watching this episode of One Piece with me and he just was enjoying the episode. He is only eight years so the little kid still sees the world from innocent little eyes. (Or that what I keep telling myself haha)

Also, yes. I did take screenshots of both scenes instead of just the same one.

So we get a recap of what has been happening. They are drawn nicely which I guess is suppose to make up for the repeated scenes and undrawn faces. Still if anything they can be used for desktops if your ignore the subtitles. haha Also I love chibi faces. haha Chibi Crocodile is always awesome. haha

Mmmmmm~!

I was so going to make that image to be the opening image for this post. It would have looked so good to see and been totally awesome to use. Then I thought about it and decided it may have been a bit strange. haha Also I thought it may have been better to use an image that showed what actually happen in this episode.

So I guess that if you ever want to tie up anybody using a whip and then hang them. You first have to snap their spine beforehand. That is nice to know. I guess it makes the tying up part much easier.

Still I guess the Demon Guards are back up. This time with a plan as they huddle around like a football team. Guess they are going into Level One thinking this time.

HEEHAW~

Ivankov's fight with Magellan is a good example of the fights that we get a lot in One Piece. The ones that are serious but also fun to watch. haha That is never a bad thing since I enjoy that the most about One Piece.

I wonder how much more makeup does Ivankov has though. Still kind of strange that you can just take off your make up so easily. It takes a lot of water to remove makeup and lots of scrubbing. I need to ask Ivankov has he does it so it won't be too much trouble in the future to remove it.

Still seems like Magellan doesn't like the way that Ivankov is fighting. Guess he is use to the seriousness of a prison that he doesn't know how to react to the silliness that Ivankov was doing. I wonder if Luffy and Magellan fight, how will he react to that. I mean the last fight between the two was mostly serious. Not much of anything to laugh at. So will a rematch between the two be just as serious or would there be something to chuckle at? Guess we will have to wait and see.

Seems like Ivankov was unable to hold off Magellan and now it is up to the Queen of the Queers's right hand man(/women?) to take up the fight. I really wanted to see more which tends to happen with all offscene fights in One Piece. That is the magic of One Piece. Always making you want more even though there wasn't suppose to be more. haha

Damn Crocodile looks damn awesome there. haha

Crocodile: I'm a pimp. 

So bet that is what Croc is saying in his head as he looks down on Buggy and Mr. 3. Still I guess Buggy is pretty well rounded in famous people since he knows that Crocodile is something to be scared of. That how a pimp rolls of course. haha

Also I guess anybody who has worked for Crocodile has that kind of reaction after seeing him in prison. I remember Bon Clay's face was something like Mr. 3's back when he realize that Croc was out of his cell.

Still just as easy as the Demon Guards got back up, just as easy as they go down. None other by Jinbei and Luffy.

I love the whole Buggy and Mr. 3 reunion with Luffy and Bon Clay. haha I can see that Luffy has no hard feelings about Buggy and Mr. 3 leaving him back on Level Four. I mean he understands that they were only caring for them and is just glad that they are completely fine. Luffy is such a fine friend. It hurts to see this kind of kindness. haha

And this episode ends with the arrival of Magellan on Level One where Luffy is at. Wait....Luffy is on Level One? Are you telling me that it doesn't take three episodes for us to get from one level to the other? Okay...Well there was no long drawn fighting or talking so makes sense.

I am really excited about the next episode. I want to see what Luffy is going to do. The kid seem a bit scared at Magellan being here so either he got scared by this last fight with him or he is surprise or fearful to what happen to Ivankov and Inazuma. I am thinking he is worried about Ivankov and Inazuma since they are his friends. Still the pacing is speeding up again and I just can't wait to see the next episode. I really want to see how or if our two revolutionaries are going to be okay.

Preview
Seems like Magellan is going to take on all of the people on Level One on his own. The hydras are out and look ready to attack. I wonder how the prisoners and Luffy are going to be able to avoid this vicious attack.

Then waiting outside seem to be a fleet of Marine battleships ready to attack anybody that may try to leave the prison. Doesn't look too good for our pirates inside Impel Down.

Nor for us. I am really hoping the episode will be better then what the preview shows. I really want to see some Magellan and Luffy fighting or something being done then just Magellan talking and cannons being fired. Still I hold on to my excite and keep hoping that the next episode is going to keep the action that we saw this week.

3 comments:

  1. The animation of this episode is as bad as episode 420 "The Nakama's Whereabouts - The Bridge that Connects Islands and Man-Eating Plants". Remember? The one with Robin and Ussop? Well maybe that episode was a bit worse than this in animation. Anyway... I want to believe that this nightmare of "the f@*ed up animation" will end in this arc... Also I have to state that after Triller Bark we haven't see a good and a real one on one fight. Since then they fight a lot of stronger enemys together and they always loose. And I don't believe that we will see an one on one fight in the rest episodes of Impel Down. I meam there is chaos in there! (The fight beetween Luffy and the Gorgon sisters in Amazon Lily was lazy for me so I am not counting it... Really he beat them by tieng up their tales..) But maybe that is the point of one piece right now. That Luffy is not that strong in New World or near the New World... So I really wait, pretty much dissapointed, the next arc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say though that Magellan is so badass! He can beat up everybody in seconds! (watch blackbeard and his crue XD)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kaste

    Hey! I really liked Luffy's fight with the Gorgon Sisters! Then again it did have awesome music and use use of Second Gear. haha

    Yeah. I was thinking that about the animation in this episode that it was similar to the episode that you mentioned. I am kind of split on that though. Isn't this similar to the animation used for Movie 7 and I heard a lot of people liked that movie. Then again as we saw at least twice, the animation was used horribly with the whole no face on Ivankov.

    I am hoping that these lackluster episodes in animation and pacing will end after Impel Down. They could be saving their budget for something a bit bigger.

    Oh yeah. Magellan is. I really wondering how Luffy will fare if they do have to fight again. So far the guy is unstoppable right now. haha

    ReplyDelete